VMware Communities
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Black screens (two or more loop times) while surfing the internet .. 0x8898009b, Microsoft Basic Dis

As the title suggests, when I browse some sites such as Acuvue or eniplenitude the system begins to display black screens, which are repeated even in the order of 4 or 5 blackscreens .. today the error even led me to close the virtual session, repeating myself the windows log-in with the resolution that could no longer be changed until the restart following the closure of the Microsoft Basic Display Driver service ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwminit

The Desktop Window Manager process has been closed. (Process Exit Code: 0x8898009b, Restart Count: 9, Primary Display Device ID: Microsoft Basic Display Driver)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application Error
Name of the application that generated the error: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, timestamp: 0x6be51595 Name of the module that generated the error: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1949, timestamp: 0xcb12e58e Exception code: 0x8898009b Error offset 0x000000000010fb62 Process ID that generated the error: 0x35c Start time of the application that generated the error: 0x01d8d017e1dda751 Path of the application that generated the error: C: \ Windows \ system32 \ dwm.exe Path to the module that generated the error: C: \ Windows \ System32 \ KERNELBASE.dll Report ID: fc507d6f-1261-468f-a16f-995a4ba65bfa Full package name that generated the error: Application ID for the package that generated the error

Dwminit
The Desktop Window Manager process has been closed. (Process Exit Code: 0x8898009b, Restart Count: 8, Primary Display Device ID: VMware SVGA 3D)

How can I solve? I tried to disable the video accelerator too but nothing, the problem is not solved even if I uninstall and reinstall the wmware tools driver

75 Replies
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here, @Bi7hazard1. Despite all the updates on both host and guest, the problem persists (after initially appearing to be gone).

I didn't succeed to convert my VM to VirtualBox either, unfortunately, encountering AHCI controller errors. Those are pretty well documented, but still I couldn't solve them.

This is unworkable, VMWARE. Are you listening? And this issue doesn't only hit us freeloaders apparently, as users of VMWare Workstation suffer from it as well.

This is getting rather maddening and while I do understand that this is a forum for and by users mainly, the lack of recognition of the problem by VMWARE, the deafening silence in other words, is not giving me a lot of confidence.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Realize that the VMware developers are currently working on the Workstation Tech Preview version, and are unlikely to be focusing on v16 issues.

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>>Realize that the VMware developers are currently working on the Workstation Tech Preview version, and are unlikely to be focusing on >>v16 issues.

Thanks for pointing that out, @RDPetruska. That explains a lot.

0 Kudos
jczettler
Contributor
Contributor

I suffer from this issue since weeks, and I have followed this thread. I use VMWare Workstation Pro(16.2.4 build-20089737) on Windows 11 with lot of guests, mostly Windows 11, servers (2012, 2019 and 2022). I have experienced this issue at all of them since a cumulative update that arrived on the host a few weeks ago. So I'm sure, the root of this issue comes from the host.

I have applied a new cumulative update (2022-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5018418)) on the host this morning, and the error seems to have disappeared... I've been testing machines for hours and nothing. All of them work fine again without the issue.

I hope it stays that way...

0 Kudos
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

maybe i'm wrong but it's been almost two days that the three virtual machines have been working perfectly .. i hope so ...
the last update I made was locally: KB5005463 on October 25th, yesterday

0 Kudos
Virtualmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem with wdm.exe crashing a few minutes of booting up Win 10 guest VM.

It started on 9/2 after installing KB5016688 on the Host.  I uninstalled from Host and fixed it, only for problem to reappear after taking KB5017308 2 weeks later.  

The best way to recreate the issue is to just open Edge, go to YouTube and fire off any video.  However, it will eventually fail if I do thinks like adjust the VM Guest window, or wait long enough. 

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x6be51595
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1949, time stamp: 0xcb12e58e
Exception code: 0x8898009b

My VM is totally unstable and can't be used and don't see VMWare doing anything to help fix it.  I can't test the Tech Preview because you can't run it in parallel with another instance of VMWare Workstation. 

0 Kudos
Virtualmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes it started with Preview KB5016688 which is the "preview" version of KB5017308, so I'd agree with your logic in that it has something to do with this Microsoft pipeline.

0 Kudos
Virtualmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare, what else do you need to help us get this resolved?

0 Kudos
tcarnes1
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, I've just installed KB5018482 (it was auto pulled by windows update) on my Windows 10 host.  I can no longer replicate the DWM

issue in either my Win10 or Win11 VMs.  Hopefully this isn't a herring, but, rather a real fix from MS.  Fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Virtualmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I took those on both Guest/Host and still have issue, besides until VMWare addresses this, it will not get resolved.  This issue is 100% on VMWare to fix since it's not a problem with native Windows (running standalone Windows).

What boggles my mind is why VMWare has done zero to support us customers after nearly 2 months, and where is their plan to address!?!   There are other Virtual Machine options on the market.  

VMWare, what is your plan to address this defect!?

0 Kudos
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

surely it is something that they have to solve, because even installing a new machine the problem is not solved ...

0 Kudos
Virtualmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@RDPetruska, what is the plan to get this fixed for your existing customers?  

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@Virtualmee wrote:

@RDPetruska, what is the plan to get this fixed for your existing customers?  

Don't look at me, I'm just a user/customer like yourself.  The VMware devs have already ruined the product for me by removing one of the main features I require for my job, so I won't be planning on upgrading past v16.1.2 for a long time to come.

All I was doing was pointing out that there is a Tech Preview of the next version of Workstation (and Fusion), so the developers are concentrating on that version rather than older existing ones.

Virtualmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry Sorry Sorry!   You had so much info I thought maybe you worked for them.

Argh, no kidding on ruining it.... I'm already looking to VirtualBox and some other options because I can't trust VMWare to address their defect.

Soooo if anyone out here knows how to actually get some help from VMWare, let us know.

0 Kudos
Virtualmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
izogi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. Just to report in again with ongoing experiences.  Since the cumulative updates on my host laptop described in my comment about a month ago I've almost never seen these black screens again, but there have been exceptions.

Most notably, the VMs I'm running seem to be vulnerable to it happening soon after I've restarted them.  I don't do that frequently - normally I pause overnight and resume in the morning.  I don't think I've seen the problem occur after I've resumed a VM following a pause.

I don't know if that's of any help, and probably there's still lots of other environmental stuff involved. For people still seeing it a lot, though, it might be a useful experiment to try pausing and resuming the VM and see if you can reproduce it after that.

0 Kudos
james3126
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue in VMWare Workstation Pro since around September - I can confirm I've received this after pauses. However, it seems to come in waves. Sometimes I'll boot the VM Monday morning, pause every evening and get to Friday with maybe 1 flicker/crash.

Other times, like today, I'm getting non-stop crashing back to back until it first locks my resolution down to a 1:1 640x640 resolution, and then drops me back to my logon screen, killing my sessions, and I lose all my work. Logging back in seems to leave everything working for about 30 seconds before it crashes over and over and drops me back out. At no point does the resolution fix itself anymore until after a reboot. However, even after reboots it'll begin crashing again after a couple of hours. I'm on my 3rd reboot of the day currently.

I've heard from some users that accessing via RDP will completely prevent this crash. Unfortunately RDP is blocked on my VM as it's a corporate managed one, so that's a no-go fix for me.

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I didn't manage to convert my VmWare appliance to VirtualBox (got an VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004), but fortunately the problem has solved itself since I updated my host to Windows 11, version 22H2 on October 19. The issue hasn't occurred even once since then. Hopefully others will experience the same. 

Cheers,

John

0 Kudos
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone managed to fix this issue with the new version?

0 Kudos
lakyk
Contributor
Contributor

I have experienced same with workstation 15, 16.2 and 17. Temporary fix that always work until next windows update is to reinstall (repair) vmware workstation. This points on that some dll used by vmware is re-registered during windows update process.

lakyk_0-1669113862003.png

0 Kudos