VMware Communities
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Black screens (two or more loop times) while surfing the internet .. 0x8898009b, Microsoft Basic Dis

As the title suggests, when I browse some sites such as Acuvue or eniplenitude the system begins to display black screens, which are repeated even in the order of 4 or 5 blackscreens .. today the error even led me to close the virtual session, repeating myself the windows log-in with the resolution that could no longer be changed until the restart following the closure of the Microsoft Basic Display Driver service ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwminit

The Desktop Window Manager process has been closed. (Process Exit Code: 0x8898009b, Restart Count: 9, Primary Display Device ID: Microsoft Basic Display Driver)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application Error
Name of the application that generated the error: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, timestamp: 0x6be51595 Name of the module that generated the error: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1949, timestamp: 0xcb12e58e Exception code: 0x8898009b Error offset 0x000000000010fb62 Process ID that generated the error: 0x35c Start time of the application that generated the error: 0x01d8d017e1dda751 Path of the application that generated the error: C: \ Windows \ system32 \ dwm.exe Path to the module that generated the error: C: \ Windows \ System32 \ KERNELBASE.dll Report ID: fc507d6f-1261-468f-a16f-995a4ba65bfa Full package name that generated the error: Application ID for the package that generated the error

Dwminit
The Desktop Window Manager process has been closed. (Process Exit Code: 0x8898009b, Restart Count: 8, Primary Display Device ID: VMware SVGA 3D)

How can I solve? I tried to disable the video accelerator too but nothing, the problem is not solved even if I uninstall and reinstall the wmware tools driver

75 Replies
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my opinion the problem lies in the vmware player, in the next few days I will try to downgrade ... because nothing has changed in my pc.

the problem is ... where are the download links of the previous versions? (not too old)

0 Kudos
DaveC1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing this issue as well, but only after installing and using Workstation Pro v.16.2 on a new host system where I was advised by during the 'Pro' installer routine to enable 'Windows Hypervisor Platform' feature (old host system does not have this feature enabled).  I tested the suggestion below on one Windows 10 VM guest, and it seems to have helped alleviate that particular exception:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock yes  <followed by reboot>

...but I'm concerned this may not be a proper solution, nor do I know what negative impacts it may cause (if any) in the guest.

Wondering if anyone else has seen/tried this?

Thanks,

DaveC

0 Kudos
jmatsujina
Contributor
Contributor

The download link for 15.5.7 is 「https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/downloads/#all_products」.
I previously tried reinstalling to 15.5.7 to no avail.
I could not figure out how to downgrade the minor version.

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>>In my opinion the problem lies in the vmware player, in the next few days I will try to downgrade ... because nothing has changed in my pc.

@Bi7hazard1 There certainly is some problem with VMWare, as the problem doesn't surface in the host system. But I didn't have any problems with my virtual machine up until about 10 days ago. AFAIK I didn't update the VMWare executable which ran fine for a few months and then suddenly didn't anymore. However, I did run some Windows updates both on the host and the guest system. It seems to me that there is a relationship between drivers, Windows updates, particular hardware and maybe also the specific VMWare Player executable version. I suppose there are also many users of VMWare without this particular issue.

In the meantime I've upgraded all my drivers and the BIOS of my PC, and the issue has stayed away for more than a day now. Fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem still remains, also after I've updated VMWare Tools to 12.0.5

It is a bit less frequent than before I took the steps I described earlier in this thread, but it's not gone. I hope VMWare will look into this.

0 Kudos
Radigewski
Contributor
Contributor

same here. Updating the nvidia driver doesn't change anything. But after updating the internal INTEL graphics driver on my notebook the issue happens more less.

One of my windows 10 quest was not updated to 21H2, this image seems to freeze more often than Win 10 21H2 images.

I also try to setup an ubuntu image, but the installation never finished before freezing. The ubuntu images always freeze and kept frozen. After updating the INTEL graphics driver I was able to install and use the image without freezing. I am not sure if this is representative. The error does not always seem to occur for everyone. I also had the situation that I could work with the Windows image for 4 hours and the next day not for 5 minutes.

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@DaveC1 

Where and in which context have you seen this? You speak of 'alleviating' - does that mean that the issue still remains but is less frequent?

I see lots of talk about bcedit and useplatformclock on gaming sites with regard to fps, so I'm a bit hesitant to try this out.

0 Kudos
DaveC1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @zandokan

One was an older post in a VirtualBox forum:  #13068 (Windows 8.1 DWM crash and black screen (0x8898009b)) – Oracle VM VirtualBox

Another was a reddit post which seemed to be discussing tweaking various params available to an AMD CPU, which is really only related to my issue by the specific exception code:  SOLVED: FX series CPU multiplier changes with AMD Overdrive causes desktop window manager crash to c...

I admittedly know very little in the realm of hardware and/or their device drivers, but I thought I would try this approach in two of my Windows 10 guest VMs.  I'm not convinced this is a proper solution because I don't understand nearly enough about what the flag really does, nor what sort of issues it may cause as a side effect.

However, I can confirm I've not seen the DWM fault issue since applying that change and restarting those two guests.  I felt it was a bit early to make that statement the other day when I first posted, sorry for any ambiguity.

My host system does not exhibit the issue at all, but I acknowledge having had at least two major changes since never having experienced this issue:

1. My host hardware changed

2. The 'Windows Hypervisor Platform' feature is enabled on the new host where it was NOT on the old host.  I vaguely recall VMWare Workstation Pro asking me to enable that during its installation on the new host.

-DaveC

izogi
Contributor
Contributor

I've been frequently seeing a frustrating problem that sounds very similar to this in all of my vms, but it seems to be fixed (see below).  I first noticed it on Monday 19th September, which in my case was consistent with KB5017308 and KB5017499 going onto my host laptop late the week before.

The instability has included older snapshots that worked without issue.  It's particularly obvious when apps inside VMs display alert dialogs (and Visual Studio does that a lot when I'm using it day-to-day). Most times the whole screen blacks out for several seconds shortly after the dialog displays, before coming back.  Maybe 1 time in 4, applications would start crashing, and if I checked the Windows event log it'd specifically show the Desktop Window Manager process crashing.

These are both out-of-date and up-to-date Windows 10 VMs running inside VMWare Workstation 16.1.  I tried downloading and installing the latest versions of VMWare Tools 11 and 12, neither of which appeared to change anything.

After finding this thread I would have experimented with my host laptop's video driver, but corporate security bureaucracy got in the way.

The problem appeared to vanish this morning, though, after my host corporate laptop installed KB5018410, which is the October 2022 cumulative update for Windows 10 21H1.  I'll report back if it changes, but suddenly my VMs are much more stable.  Even if I un-pause a vm that was unstable last night, without any kind of restart, it's no longer demonstrating the problem this morning.

Hopefully this helps someone out there.  I'll post back if I find I've been too optimistic.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for clearing that up, @DaveC1. I've also installed/enabled the 'Windows Hypervisor Platform' on my host (and taken some other steps described earlier in this thread) but the issue is still present (though less frequent).

I might try the 'useplatformclock' trick, although the virtualbox forum also mentions that the issue will not occur with setting 1 CPU (which in my case unfortunately isn't true). I don't know much about hardware either and frankly I don't even want to know. My curiosity is endless, but unfortunately my time isn't.

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hope springs eternal and I'm particularly interested in your update, @izogi, as my PC just offered this update this morning for the first time. I'm installing it now. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Who knows if they have been listening to our complaints while making us none the wiser! 

0 Kudos
jmatsujina
Contributor
Contributor

The problem recurred.
A driver update improved the problem for a week, but it recurred again.
An update of KB5018410 was performed, but there was no improvement.
I am thinking of changing to hyper-v or virtualbox as the work is not progressing.

0 Kudos
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yesterday there were several updates in the local (non-virtual) machine of w10: Kb5012170, KB5016616, KB5017308, KB5018410 and KB5017499 the latter for the net framework

For the moment (hoping not to bring bad luck) there are no problems ..

0 Kudos
Radigewski
Contributor
Contributor

The error still occurs here, even after installing KB5018410 on win10 guest and win 10 host.

I created a support ticket on September 26. The support has been really good so far, but a solution could not be found yet. I assume this is a general issue of VMWare/Microsoft.

Maybe someone would also like to invest 50 € for a single incident to increase the pressure a bit? 😉
https://store-us.vmware.com/per-incident-support-workstation-pro-5424560200.html

0 Kudos
zandokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The same here, @jmatsujina, no improvement after installing KB5018410.

Windows updates in the host might probably help, @Bi7hazard1 . My host machine has Windows 11, but I will now install its latest cumulative update KB5018418 (at least I think it's the latest) and see what happens. It's pretty tedious to have to close all your programs on both host and guest and interrupt work, so I am also considering switching to some other product.

0 Kudos
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been surfing three virtual machines all day and there hasn't been any problem .. everything seems solved .. the previous days, there were at least 300 black screens every day, up to 3 black screens on heavy web pages

0 Kudos
izogi
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to read that KB5018410 hasn't made a difference for others.

Since my last comment I've seen the problem recur inside one specific VM, really only once, and I'm not sure of exactly what's going on there.  I'll report back if it increases in frequency.  In every other situation there's definitely been an vast improvement for me, including after lots of use throughout multiple days.  Based on my very contrasting experiences immediately before and immediately after KB5018410, I'm still convinced that in my specific situation it played a role.

For further info, my host laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1.  The display adapter is Intel(R) UHD Graphics with a current driver version of 30.0.101.1338 (this hasn't changed through my whole experience).  I notice it's different from the Nvidia drivers some others have referred to.

0 Kudos
izogi
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to read that KB5018410 hasn't helped others.

Since my previous comment I've seen the screen blanking on one specific occasion within one VM.  I'm unsure what was happening there, but on the whole it's been a vast improvement and it's the only time I've seen any sign of it over multiple days and lots of use.  I'll post an update here if the frequency increases again.  Based on my very different experiences immediately before and immediately after KB5018410, though, I'm still convinced that in my specific case that update has played a role.

For further info, my host laptop is a Dell Latitude 5510 running Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1.  The display adapter/driver in my case is Intel(R) UHD Graphics version 30.0.101.1338, which I notice is different from the Nvidia drivers some others here have referred to.

0 Kudos
Bi7hazard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

bad news: unfortunately the problem came back .. yesterday, all day did not give any kind of problem

0 Kudos