VMware Communities
imb2016
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Binary Translation is incompatible with long mode on this platform. Windows 7 , intel core i5

I install VMware Workstation 12.1.1 Player for Windows 64-bit operating systems on Lenovo intel core i5 under Windows 7.

I have a copy of Virtual Machine for HP Quality Center with the VirXPSP3.vmx file and environment.

When I try to open vmx file from Workstation Player :

1) I got prompt that Virtual machine appear to be in use and option to take ownership

2) After taking ownership I attempt to play the virtual machine I got a prompt with "Binary Translation is incompatible with long mode on this platform. Long mod will be disabled in the virtual environment and application requiring long mode will not function properly as a result. See http://vmware.com/info?id=152 for more details."

Link is to this page: System requirements to install a 64-bit guest operating system on a 32-bit host (1003945) | VMware K...

Host is definitely 64 so I'm puzzled with that is happening.

3) Next step/prompt is: "This virtual machine might have been moved or copied". I clicked "I copied it" button

4) Next message:

VMware Player unrecoverable error: (mks)

Exception 0xc0000005 (access violation) has occurred.

Log file is attached.

Line 476 in the log file is:

The following VT-x features are required for VT-x support in VMware Player; however, these features are not available on this host:

2016-06-07T13:51:34.466-07:00| vmx| I125: hostCpuFeatures = 0x217d

In one of the previous installation i did Enabled Intel Virtual Technology in BIOS following one of the replies from your forum. It did not remove the error.

Just to clarify whenever I do uninstall I follow Troubleshooting steps from your site:

1) uninstall using Add/Remove Program from Program and Features

2) run the installer with the /clean switch

I do above steps as an administrator and reboot after each step.

On the top of that I delete the following folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware folder

C:\ProgramData\VMware folder

C:\Users\Ivana\AppData\Local\VMware folder

C:\Users\Ivana\AppData\Local\CrashDumps\vmware-vmx.exe.*.dmp files

C:\Users\Ivana\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-Ivana folder

C:\Users\Ivana\AppData\Roaming\VMware folder

And delete the whole folder with the Virtual Machine for HP Quality Center.

Do you know how can I fix unrecoverable error (mks)?

The same installation works fine on HP under Windows 7, i.e. copy of Virtual Machine for HP Quality Center is ok.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Usually this is caused by out-of-date or incompatible graphics drivers on your host.  I'd expect that the latest drivers for your integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 would probably already be delivered via Windows Update, though.  Might be worth seeing if there is an optional update in your Windows Update list to obtain a newer graphics driver.

Otherwise, you can try working around the issue by disabling 3D graphics acceleration: In the VM menu, choose Settings..., then in the Hardware list, choose Display.  Deselect (uncheck) the Accelerate 3D graphics box.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Usually this is caused by out-of-date or incompatible graphics drivers on your host.  I'd expect that the latest drivers for your integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 would probably already be delivered via Windows Update, though.  Might be worth seeing if there is an optional update in your Windows Update list to obtain a newer graphics driver.

Otherwise, you can try working around the issue by disabling 3D graphics acceleration: In the VM menu, choose Settings..., then in the Hardware list, choose Display.  Deselect (uncheck) the Accelerate 3D graphics box.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
imb2016
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DariusD you are a genius!

I tried option number one: Windows Updates. There was one update for  "Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.0, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000" but it would't install on my laptop. When I tried manual installation Windows reported back that my Grapics 4000 is working properly and doesn't need update.

Then I tired you option number 2: "Deselect (uncheck) the Accelerate 3D graphics box."

This did the magic.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos