VMware Communities
Gooses
Contributor
Contributor

Beginner having issues.

Hey guys,

I'm new to Virtual Machines and I am having some trouble. I have tried both VMware and Virtualbox and I can't get either to work so I am wondering if there is a conflict somewhere on my computer or maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

For VMware, I have tried both Windows 7 and Linux virtual machines. The Win7 one installs but once I get into windows it locks up and I have to end the process. The linux one during install gets to a purple screen with power in the top right corner and a mouse pointer in the middle of the screen and locks up. Windows 7 is a 32bit copy of ultimate, Linux is ubuntu 10.10.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, which I just reinstalled a few days ago.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Kudos
11 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - What product are you trying to use? If it is VMware Player there is really not much to it and I have not heard of any issues installing -  VMware Player allows you to run pre-existing  virtual machines that are already configured -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Gooses
Contributor
Contributor

It is indeed VMware player. It does seem pretty straight forward, but it is not working for me.

It is for pre-existing virtual machines? Is it meant to create them? Because it seems like it has the capabilities to. Or perhaps that's why they aren't working..

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Player is not meant for building VMs - you will need to use VMware Workstation or VMware Server - your can also download prebuilt VMs from  the VMware Appliance Market Place - http://www.vmware.com/appliances/

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Gooses
Contributor
Contributor

vmware's website leads me to believe otherwise.

Easiest Way to Play with Virtualization
VMware Player allows anyone to try new operating systems without rebooting. Easy Install makes creating virtual machines with the latest 32-bit and 64-bit Windows and Linux operating systems easier than installing them directly on your PC. Run over 200 supported operating systems including Windows 7, Chrome OS, Ubuntu 10.04, and many other versions of Windows, Linux, and more."

What is VMware Player?

VMware Player is software that enables users to easily create and run virtual machines on a Windows or Linux PC. VMware Player now creates virtual machines in addition to running virtual machines created by VMware Workstation,VMware Fusion, VMware Server, or VMware ESX and supports Microsoft virtual machines and Symantec LiveState Recovery disk formats.

Do I need another VMware product to use VMware Player?
No. VMware Player enables you to create and run virtual machines. However, if you need to leverage powerful developer-centric features such as Teams, multiple Snapshots and Clones, or Virtual Rights Management features for end-point security, you will need to upgrade to VMware Workstation.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I stand corrected - in the old days VMware Player was only used to run prebuilt virtual machines but just installed and yes you can create VMs :smileyblush:

So for the windows install you get throug the complete installation and when you reboot the VM it locks up?

0 Kudos
Gooses
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, complete installation, shortly after I get into windows it locks up (booted up and logged in) .

Also, whenever i start a virtual machine I get a message "Host usb device connections disabled" and under that "The connection to the VMware USB Arbitration Service was unsuccessful. Please check the status of this service in the Microsoft Management Console."

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

current VMplayer has severe USB- problems - it will not work at all on hosts with USB3 hardware.

Anyway - best you reproduce teh crashing VMs and then show us the vmware.log

0 Kudos
Gooses
Contributor
Contributor

So, this is a fresh VM, it is Win 7 64 bit, installed completely, was working, could surf internet, installed one program  (skype) tried to open it and it froze.

Virtual machine wouldn't start after so I had to restart my computer, once restarted I started the VM it booted up, got into windows, tried to open the task manager via the CTRL ALT Delete screen, and it froze. Attached is the most recent log.

My motherboard does have USB 3.0 on it.

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor

i had some Vbox and VMPlayer issues as well.

check Device Manager, you might see multiple VirtualBox Drivers and VM Drivers that have yellow exclamation point,s, i uninstalle the ones i didnt want (VBox) , did a rebot and everything worked fine, 

0 Kudos
Gooses
Contributor
Contributor

No, I have no drivers that didnt install properly

0 Kudos
Gooses
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone have a chance to look over the log file?

Thanks

0 Kudos