VMware Communities
lmenten
Contributor
Contributor

BSOD - Win7 Compaq Presario CQ61 - VMPlayer 3.0

I have installed VMPlayer on a Compaq Presario CQ61 running Win7 and got a BoD on the mandatory reboot to complete installation of VMPlayer 3.0. Has this sort of failure been reported? Environment is relatively pristine.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've searched internet about "Compaq Presario CQ61" and the results is that your computer should be a laptop / notebook with a Pentium Dual Core processor. The memory might be as large as 4 Gb.

You **must** correct me if I've wrong.

Can you provide more details about your BSOD and the further specifications of your computer?

0 Kudos
lmenten
Contributor
Contributor

Compaq (HP) Presario CQ61 Notebook PC

AMD Athlon II Dual Core M300 2.00 GHz

3.00 GB RAM

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium

New system will little addn'l software installed.

BSOD:

VMware-player-3.0.0-203739.exe

Install with defaults. No warnings or errors. Close all applications. Select "Restart now" at finish.

System reboots. Startng Windows is displayed with logo.. Login screen displayed and immediately closes to audio buzz and BSOD.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

ndis.sys - Address FFFFF88001CD65B6

I have attached a photo of the screenshot and can provide any info that you can direct me to.

0 Kudos
lmenten
Contributor
Contributor

Problem seems to be related to wireless adapter (built-in).

Adapter is Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter

File version 8.0.0.171

0 Kudos
lmenten
Contributor
Contributor

Core dump available somewhere. System will start in safe mode without networking but BSOD on safe mode with networking.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Is that an USB-adapter ?

If yes - disable autostart of USB-arbitration service

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
lmenten
Contributor
Contributor

No. The adapter is preinstalled in the laptop (PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0) and uses IRQ 17/0x11. I attempted update but Microsoft reported that the driver was the latest. Driver is signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher. Device reports that it is working properly once I do a Microsoft System Restore from the last recovery point to get the system to boot normally.

The only USB device is a logitech mouse. BSOD is completely reproduceable. Last time I got past login, but the system still did a BSOD within seconds. I could disable WiFi and try a hardwired connection to isolate the problem.

0 Kudos
lmenten
Contributor
Contributor

BTW, I have the same VMware Player 3.0 build running on a

HP G60

Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz

3 MB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter on PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0

Works like a charm.

0 Kudos