Crotalidae75
Contributor
Contributor

Awful performance with VMware Player 16.1 - frequent slowdowns/freezing (Linux)

I have serious problems getting Player to run well under my Linux system, and I struggle with slowdowns and freezing, and I've had far too many instances where the program freezes altogether, forcing me to reset my system (and often losing work).  It's really getting obnoxious and I really don't know what's caused.  I've tried setting my vCPU count to 4, instead of higher (originally I set it to 8 vCPU cores).  I later learned that a lower number is preferable, for stability reasons.  I've also tried 2 which results in more issues.  But it still persists and I wonder if it has to do with using multiple files for the virtual disk.  More recently I turning the 'Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI' setting to on, but that doesn't seem to make any real difference.

My disk space is not pre-allocated, either.  Would re-installing under with a single disk file be a better option here?

The guest OS is Windows 10 Pro x64, and I'm running it under Kubuntu 20.10,  kernel version 5.8.0.33-generic, under a Ryzen 7 2700x, with 32GB of RAM, and an older 1080 Ti GPU.  By all means it should be enough to run VMWare smoothly but that's not my experience with it.  Something is wrong here and I don't know what.  

Any ideas? If need be I can provide more information.  The only thing I really use it for is to run Daz Studio under, but I don't think that would cause the problems I have.  I still suspect the multi-file disk settings to be causing trouble.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RaSystemlord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have had a similar question open for Ubuntu 20.04.1 for over a week now. It's too slow to even start to work.

No answers available, it seems.

I have used VMware Player & Pro for 15+ years on Ubuntu and Windows - this is now a new situation.

0 Kudos