VMware Communities
jtv1
Contributor
Contributor

Are There Virtual Routers

Dear VMware CS

I would like to know if there is a possibility of using a "virtual router" between my other virtual devices I have installed and what type of file format should I use.

I was thinking of a ISO or OVA file format or are there other formats that I can use.

The devices I have installed are Windows OS PCs and Server, though I do have one Linux OS virtual device.

This enquiry is to help me with my studies, I do hope this something out here is available.

Yours sincerely

JT Valerie

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure what you mean by “CS”?

Which VMware product are you using?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jtv1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott

Sorry for my acronym 'CS', of which I meant to say "Community Support".

The product I am using is VMware Workstation 16 Player (non-comm).

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Expect a moderator to move your thread to the area for Workstation Player.

Why do you want to use routing between your different VMs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jtv1
Contributor
Contributor

I was hoping that I may be able to truly view the implications of networks virtually like am doing with the Cisco Packet Tracer, to replicate what I've drawn up from a different perspective. May I add that I have not physically tried this at home yet.

I do have the devices, but I haven't configured any of them due to them needing a bit of offline upgrading and cleaning like the the OS of WinXP before I can can practice any networking configurations.

0 Kudos
jtv1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the Heads Up of where my post may end up 👍

0 Kudos
jtv1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott

I have just seen your question about me using the letters CS returned to me today.

CS was me using this acronym to express my feeling for requesting help from this community.

It simply stands for 'CS' = Community Support

I still was not sure if it was possible for me to know if there are "Virtual Routers" that can be used in my virtual network that I am studying. 

If this is possible, I would presume that if there was applications for this, then I expect there would be applications for other devices like Firewalls, Access Points, Switches and the likes as in the Cisco Packet Tracer!

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The VMware Workstation Virtual Network operate at OSI level/layer 2/3 . . . below, is hopefully some useful background reading which may help you answer some of your questions:

VMware Virtual Networking Concepts
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16.0/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-8FDE7881-C31F-48...

Set Up Routing Between Two Host-Only Networks
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16.0/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-87995B4F-5945-4A...

A tool is provide to manage Virtual Networks (either locate 'vmnetcfg.exe' or alternatively click Edit > Virtual Network Editor from within VMware Workstation).

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If you need to have a virtual router then there's a wide variety you can install...

Google for one of the following:

- pfSense
- OPNsense
- freeSCO
- microtik (they have a x86 vm appliance)
- openWRT (x86 version, never tried myself)

I'm sure there are more, but the above should get you started.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jtv1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi CarltonR

Thank you for your instruction, which is more than welcome.

Do you have any instructions which cover "VMware Workstation 16 Player Non-Comm Version"?

I found that I would need the VMware Editor, which has not come with my application version.

Would I have to request this from VMware or does this only come with an upgrade?

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think that there may be some confusion over the VMware Workstation Player software.  There is one base version of this software (all but one for Windows and Linux) but two licencing conditions, one version is free for personal use, the other is for commercial use, were a licence/s will be required.

If however, greater functionality is required then VMware Workstation Pro is an option, this product requires a licence/s to be purchased.  A 30 day trial period is provided for assessment and evaluation purposes.

Using VMware Workstation Player for Windows
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Windows/16.0/workstation-player-16-windows-...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@jtv1 wrote:

I found that I would need the VMware Editor, which has not come with my application version.

The Virtual Network Editor is a VMware Workstation Pro feature.

See: https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player.html under the Compare tab, then "Advanced Features" ->  categorised as "Virtual Network Customization (NAT, network rename)"

Please note that the "Virtual Network Editor" is not a router, it only lets you configure the network configuration for your guests.
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva