VMware Communities
DimitriuSVC
Contributor
Contributor

(Any)Linux host crashes and reboots(kernel oops)

My Linux HOST system has suffered crashes(kernel oops) due to VMware Player(Workstation) for a long time.

Ubuntu-CentOS-Debian Stable all of them keep crashing..

Description in details:

1)Installation:SUCCESS                    ->VMplayer(or Workstation) installs and builds the appropriate modules without any issue.Modules keep loading perfectly everytime the machines boots.

2)Virtual machine Creation:SUCCESS-> Virtual machines-whether is a Linux distro or Windows Guest- are created with absolute success.

3)The very FIRST time(after a Host boot) a vmachine starts loading-:SUCCESS-> The very first time(after the Host OS has just booted and loaded) any  Guest OS loads in success

Kernel Ooops

1) VMplayer is on air and the Guest OS works perfectly.If I suspend the HOST and wake it up then either it(HOST OS)hangs with black screen(keyboard-mouse dont react) or REBOOTS.

It can be reproduced EVERYTIME.

2)I suspend Host OS and then I wake it up-Success.I open VMplayer and start any Guest OS.The time Guest starts loading HOST crashes and reboots immediately.

It can be reproduced EVERYTIME.

3)If I suspend Guest(from Player menu) and then try to load it,HOST crashes and REBOOTS

It can be reproduced randomly-sometimes it fails sometimes not

Conclusion:

While-as long as the Guest OS loads in success-the whole HOST and Guest Systems and the VMplayer are stable and run without any issues,if i SUSPEND/RESUME the HOST this is where problems occure.

3D Acceleration has no impact on this.1,2 and 3 statements can be reproduced whether Nvidia blob is loaded(accel:ON) or not(Nouveau)(accel:OFF).

CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz(Intel VT-x)

MB:Gigabyte GA-G41MT-D3V

RAM: 8G

Graphics:Nvidia Geforce 430GT(Nvidia blob OR Nouveau)

0 Kudos
0 Replies