VMware Communities
zenficus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All USB devices are greyed out

All USB Devices are greyed out.

VMWare Tools installed, both on host and guest.

VMWare Wrkstation Player: 16.2.1

VMWare Tools: 11.3.5

Host OS: Windows 10 21H1 x64

Guest OS: Windows 7 SP1 x86

VMWare USB Arbitration Service is running, never stopped.

Device that I want to redirect is named "Ethernet Gadget", connected to USB 2.0, USB controller in VM's setting also 2.0.

VM just has been created in this version of VMWare Workstation Player.

What could be the root of the problem?

What additional logs could help to resolve the problem?

zenficus_2-1636972399357.png

zenficus_1-1636972356731.png

37 Replies
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Gotta add this to my notes. Thanks for the detailed post. 

0 Kudos
macmanm1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cool! It's works! Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
macmanm1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

changed from:
usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "FALSE"
To:
usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "TRUE"

Works greate!

0 Kudos
dragon1988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For those with encryption, you have to remove encryption so you can edit your .vmx file, then you can re-add it.

What a PITA.

Wow, Why would the default be to remove access to USB devices?!!, This is VMWare Workstation, which is run on a desktop that has ... you know ... USB devices.

I just wasted 3 hours troubleshooting this.

Why do i pay for this software again?!

0 Kudos
Identifier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue happening as of 2023 (VMware Workstation Pro v17).

0 Kudos
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As you faced this issue in 17.0 build also, can you please share your host guest details. 

Specifically if possible please attach your vmx file, We need to see if there anything else interesting there. 

0 Kudos
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are working on it, and this will be fixed in Workstation next release. 

Thanks,

Gaurav

0 Kudos
tperman_msi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This issue affected me too on VMWare Workstation 16.2.5 build-20904516, with guest OS Fedora 36 & 38. When the .VMX file was manually edited it worked OK. 

@joshiga - Has this now been fixed?

0 Kudos
bsilverthorn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Appears to stil not be fixed. I have no redirect option, can't pass my headset or webcam in / out the vm. Workstation 17.02 on arch linux

. usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "TRUE" did not exist in .vmx file. I added it, but still no change. Windows 11 VM, with latest Vmware tools installed as well.

0 Kudos
tuxster_mk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am still having issues with this, one of the three Linux guests I installed is not grayed out (MX Linux) and works as intended. A Windows 11 guest works mounting the same usb volume no issues. The Ubuntu LTS is grayed out and I removed the usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "TRUE" from mx file and restarted VMware.

Not sure of how to fix this.

0 Kudos
zenficus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try explicitly setting this thing in configuration, not removing it.

Also, this was relevent for Workstation 16, not 17. If you're using 17, some of newer version - try to play around with this setting. I mean, instead of 

usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "TRUE"

try to remove quotes completely

usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = TRUE

or to replace them with apostrophes 

usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = 'TRUE'

We never knew how this feature works because it was never (openly) documented, so the only way to figure that out - is just to experiment with it.

0 Kudos
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please note this issue is fixed in 17.0.1 onwards, you shouldn't see this issue because of below setting in vmx default getting added:

> usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "FALSE"

In case you are seeing this issue, it might be because of  something else. 

Thanks,

Gaurav

0 Kudos
xbuoix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just installed Windows 11 on 17.0.1 and connect options are still greyed out. I checked the VMX file and verified that there isn't an entry for usb.restrictions.defaultAllow. I've tried to add it and set it to true in various ways to no avail. Are there any other workarounds here? 

0 Kudos
bsilverthorn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still no go, clean install of a linux ARCH, Installed VMWorkstation, Built a Windows 10 VM. No usb sharing to be found.

Made no difference either way with true or false setting as others are trying. For now I went back to QEMU / Libvirt till I can figure this out.

0 Kudos
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can we please get the support bundle for Linux as host and Windows as host where WS pro is installed whoever is facing this issue? 

For windows, can you please confirm if VMUSBArbService service  (VMware USB Arbitration Service) is up and running? 

Thanks,

Gaurav

0 Kudos
TheElder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also experienced the problem with a Debian 12 guest VMware® Workstation 16 Player 16.2.5 build-20904516.

Thanks zenficus.

0 Kudos
mprost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I never had this problem, but I have it now after upgrading to 17.5.0 build-22583795 (Windows 10 host, Windows Server 2022 guest). Commenting out the above mentioned line fixes it.

Edit: I've noticed that the issue was also present in 17.0.2 build-21581411 (Windows 10 host, Windows Server 2022 guest).

0 Kudos