VMware Communities
javajava
Contributor
Contributor

Access tomcat in Ubuntu Guest from Windows XP Host

I am running Ubuntu as Virtual Machine using VMware Player and Windows XP as my Guest OS.

I have a web service running on tomcat in Ubuntu. I trying to access the web service using a client application from Windows. I tested the service by running it on Tomcat under Windows. It works fine.

Could someone advise me on how to hit the server in the Virtual Machine? I need help with the connection settings.

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

1. Is the Virtual Machine's Network set to the NAT or Bridged?

2. Does the Virtual Machine have Internet/Network Connectivity?

3. Can you PING the Virtual Machine from the Host and visa verse?

Basically if the answer to question 2 is yes, then this really isn't a VMware Player issue per se and you need to troubleshoot/resolve this just as if you were dealing with two Physical Machines.

If the answer to question 3 is no, then temporarily disable firewalls on both the Host and the Guest and try pinging again.

If the answer to question 2 and 3 is yes, then this really isn't a VMware Player issue per se and you need to troubleshoot/resolve this just as if you were dealing with two Physical Machines.

I normally do not use Tomcat however I downloaded Tomcat 6.0.28 and JRE 6u21 and installed both on the Guest and started Tomcat and then had no problem accessing it from the Host using the following convention, http://Guest_IP_Address:8080 and was able to run the examples from the Tomcat Home Page just fine.

0 Kudos