VMware Communities
dicobalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Access host's physical disk from Win7 VM?

Is it possible to access a host physical SATA disk in the VM's OS? I don't need to install Windows on the physical disk I only need the VM's OS to see the physical drive directly. Host is Win7 x64 guest is Win7 x86. I have seen some documentation on this site but it seems to be contradictory. I noticed there is an option to add a physical disk but I have never been able to get it to actually do anything. So I was wondering if anyone here knows how to make it work ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Setting aside the issue that this thread mentions if your talking about accessing the Host's OS System Disk as a Raw Disk simultaneously from the Virtual Machine, even if it were possible, you corrupt the files system since only one OS can directly control the physical hard drive at a time. So it would have to be a second physical disk that wasn't the system disk where the VM can take control away from the Host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Setting aside the issue that this thread mentions if your talking about accessing the Host's OS System Disk as a Raw Disk simultaneously from the Virtual Machine, even if it were possible, you corrupt the files system since only one OS can directly control the physical hard drive at a time. So it would have to be a second physical disk that wasn't the system disk where the VM can take control away from the Host.

0 Kudos
dicobalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It keeps giving me an error and then the VM window closes (see attached jpg file). It is a secondary disk, no OS on it. Is there something special I should do on the host OS to keep the drive safe? I already removed the drive letter from Disk Management on the host OS.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

that error is normal and expected behaviour unless you use workarounds.

Check the link already given by woody and don't miss jokkes posts

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
dicobalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yea, looks like it is working ok now. Why doesn't Vmware lock the drive and dismount? It's bizzare that I have to use a 3rd party utility to enable functionality that is supposed to be built into the program.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

good question - especially when you remember that VirtualBOX had the same issue when Vista came out.

But the VirtualBOX engineers came up with a solution much earlier.

We made noise about this problem since years - but still nothing happens.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos