VMware Communities
dwbeattie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

64Bit VMs & Intel E6400 Core 2 Duo

Hi,

I have a machine which has the Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 processor which I know supports VT-X.

I  am running Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit and have VMware PLayer installed. I  have many 64Bit VM's, mainly linux (Suse & Fedora) which work  perfectly on a Dell Laptop with an i5 processor, however when I run them  on the E6400 processor I get errors in regards to 64Bit support and  LongMode.

I checked that this processor supports VT-X so am unsure why this does not work?

I also checked with the 64Bit processor tool and that confirms that the processor is capable of running 64Bit hosts so unsure what the problem is.

There are no settings with the firmware that control VT-X so I am a little stuck with regards to this.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There are no settings with the firmware that control VT-X

Often this setting is kind of "hidden" in the security settings of the BIOS. You may also want to check whether a newer BIOS is available which allows this setting, in case you can't find it.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There are no settings with the firmware that control VT-X

Often this setting is kind of "hidden" in the security settings of the BIOS. You may also want to check whether a newer BIOS is available which allows this setting, in case you can't find it.

André

0 Kudos
dwbeattie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks very much for the heads up. I thought I had searched everywhere for the Virtualisation options in the Bios, even after updating the BIOS to the latest version but to my amazement, yes, the setting was under OS Security.

Thanks, all working perfectly now and I am happy as multiple 64bit VMs now up and running perfectly.

Thanks again.

Dave

0 Kudos
zatno26bz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André,

I am having the same CPU with the same problem to enable the vt-x. In the BIOS, I only see VT, not VT-X. I have enable the VT option, but I am still getting error message saying that the VT-X/EPT is disabled and I could not run 64-bit OS.

When I install vCenter Server Appliance, during the boot up. I got error message saying "

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot – please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU

"

I check Intel website and also use the Intel Processor IU to confirm, the CPU supportss VT and also is 64 Architecture. Does these issue relates to the motherboard? I have Intel DG965OT Motherboard. It is the only thing I can think of that causing the issue, but not so sure. Please advise! Thanks.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello zatno26bz,

After changing the VT-X setting your machine needs to be power cycled.

With a desktop that's simple.. unplug the power cable for a bit and then plug it back in.

With a laptop you might have to take the battery out for it to accept the change in this setting.

A simple reboot is not enough to apply this setting.

For more details on this issue see also the following article by jmattson:

Trouble-shooting Intel VT-x Issues

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
prabhuraj1985
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please Provide me the motherobard model for the E6400 Processor with the BIOS version.

0 Kudos
mohamedatef98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys I really need some help, I have a Lenovo AIO 300 Ideacentre Desktop with Intel I3 6100u I have a problem installing X64 OS on VMWARE Player i want to allow VT-x but could not find any setting into BIOS related to Virtualization, i downloaded and ran Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility and it's showing that my processor support VT-X, please advise, will really appreciate your support.

Appreciate your kind support.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

What is the problem that the 64 bits guest OS is having? Can you give us at least an error message?

Your CPU is from end of 2015 I would expect VT-x to be enabled really.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
mohamedatef98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Willa for your reply, the Error I'm getting is

pastedImage_0.png

and as i told you earlier i didn't found anything related to virtualization in the BIOS and i ran Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility to check if my processor is supporting VT-x and it support as shown in the below snapshot

pastedImage_1.png

Please advise how to enable the VT-x or what should be done to solve this problem.

Appreciate your kind help and support.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Manufacturers are sometimes very good in hiding the settings to enable VT-x and they do tend to find all kind of names, but the logical ones.

If it really is not a setting in the BIOS then try to check the website of your system and see if there is a BIOS update.

You are correct that the CPU model supports VT-x.

Another thing to check is if you are not running with the Hyper-V role enabled, I would expect a slightly different error to pop up, but it does have this kind of problem as well.

--

Wil

0 Kudos