VMware Communities
BernWoz
Contributor
Contributor

64 Bit Player Install Issues

I've noticed several threads where people have trouble installing VMWare Player 64 bit on what appears to be a 64 bit host OS. I am using an Acer ATC605-UR13 Desktop PC, with Windows 8.1 pre-installed. All indication shows that it is a 64 bit hardware, with 64 bit OS and Intel VT support enabled. See the attached screen shots of the Intel utility to check compatibility.

However when I install VMWare Player, it always installs the 32 bit version. And if I try to install any OS on the (either 32 or 64 bit) it only starts with a black screen.

What have I missed in the configuration or set up to always get the 32 bit Player? how can I resolve this issue?

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The VMware Player GUI is a 32-bit application which will load the required 64-bit modules to run the VMs if required.

As for the black screen, please provide some details about the VM. You may also consider to exclude *.vm* files from being scanned by A/V.

André

0 Kudos
BernWoz
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I'm trying to create a new VM with a Linux ISO, no errors are displayed, all I see is a black screen and options to power off are greyed out. When I try to close the window, I get the message that the Player is busy and I can only stop it in task manager. I have previously been able to create new VMs with ISOs on Windows 7 (32 bit) but always fail on this new machine.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure what's causing this issue. In case that  a new vmware.log file create in the VM's folder, this contains some useful hints!?

André

0 Kudos
BernWoz
Contributor
Contributor

I got this to work in Oracle VM VirtualBox (also free). When I'm finished setting that up I'll come back to the Player to investigate the logs further, its always useful for future reference to have a definite conclusion in threads like this. Bear with me....

0 Kudos