VMware Communities
ar34217
Contributor
Contributor

6.5-7.x compatibility with recent VMware Player releases?

I have a few old virtual machines that was made in VMware Workstation version 7, and it doesn't seem to perform properly with any other hardware compatibility. I began to search for a version of VMware Player that could play these old virtual machines without giving me a compatibility error, but I couldn't seem to find one that was compatible with my operating system. (Windows 10).

Is there a way to open my 6.5-7.x compatible virtual machines without spending the money to upgrade to VMware Workstation? Are there any Windows 10-compatible releases that also support these old VMs? Any responses would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
this should be possible unless Windows 10 is doing strange things.
Attach your vmx-files and I will try them.

0 Kudos
ar34217
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, sorry for the long delay, but I got the VM to run. After checking the vmx file, I found some incorrect settings that were preventing it from being run. However, the results aren't what I had hoped for. The machine runs extremely slow, taking 20 minutes to start and being practically unusable after that. What do you suggest I do?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please attach the latest vmware.log file from such a slow start to your next reply.
Also do not expect that current Workstation version are as fast as old version 6.5 or 7. Since then newer versions always have been slower than the previous one ....

0 Kudos