VMware Communities
admcl
Contributor
Contributor

3D Acceleration doesn't accelerate anything (VMWare Player 15.1.0 build-13591040, Ubuntu 18.04 host, Win10 guest)

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 on a Dell XPS 9570, which has a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti being driven by Nvidia driver 430.26.  I'm running VMWare Player 15.1.0 build-13591040.  When I first installed Player, 3D acceleration worked as expected, and my applications were fast.  Glxgears likewise runs at ~60fps.  At some point, maybe after an Ubuntu update, something changed.   When booting Player I got the message, "Before you can run VMware, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel."  The process to load these modules would fail, and I couldn't start Player.  The fix I found was to modify the .vmx file for my VM with the lines:

mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE"

mks.enableDX11Renderer = "FALSE"

mks.enableGLRenderer = "TRUE"

mks.enableGLBasicRenderer = "FALSE"

mks.enableD3DRenderer = "FALSE"

...However, even though Player doesn't complain about lack of 3D acceleration support, Windows 10 graphics are far slower than they used to be.  If I toggle the VMX file settings back to using DX11, then Player will no longer fail to start up, but will complain about not having 3D support.   The GL Basic Renderer, and D3D Renderer also produce very bad performance.  I've tried reinstalling Player, installing Player 14, and even making a new Windows 10 VM; the same problem is always present.

As it stands, guest Windows 10 is so slow that the applications I need to run are borderline unusable.   Is there anything else I can fiddle with to get fast 3D graphics back?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Basic question, but have you made sure the VMware Tools in the guest are updated?

0 Kudos
admcl
Contributor
Contributor

Just to make extra-sure that I didn't blank on this one, I reinstalled VMWare tools.   I only had the option to repair modify, or remove the tools, so they must have already been there.  I 'Repaired' the VMWare Tools, rebooted, and the graphics are still slow as ever.

Could this be a kernel version issue?  I didn't have any luck running on whatever 5.x kernel was the newest a few weeks ago.  However, I'm on 4.18.0.25.26 now.

Edit: On suspicion that this was a kernel issue, I tried downgrading to 4.18.0.24 and also upgrading to 4.18.20.   No change.

0 Kudos