VMware Communities
dseegs
Contributor
Contributor

3D Acceleration Slow After Resume from Suspend

Windows 10 VM on Windows 10 host (both 21H1).

If I suspend the VM then resume it, the guest UI is horribly laggy.  The system is slow to respond to any mouse clicks.  Typing in a full word processor e.g. MS word is also unusably laggy, with the cursor and keystrokes well behind my typing.  Typing in a Windows notepad seems ok.  Essentially anything that would use the GPU is affected here.

If I restart the guest OS, everything works fine until the next suspend/resume.

If I disable 3D acceleration I also cannot reproduce the problem.  However one of the main drivers of using VMware is the 3D acceleration features.

Running VMware Workstation Player version 16.1.2 build 17966106 

Guest has latest VMware tools.

Not sure what to look at next to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
qznez
Contributor
Contributor

Same exact problem here, everything works fine until the guest is suspended, and then it is super slow to switch tabs or windows after resuming. I am running with Hyper-V enabled on the host (ULM mode in Workstation). Tried with integrated Intel HD 630 and discrete Nvidia GTX 1070, also tried changing the Graphics Memory setting (128 MB, 1GB, 8GB). Also tried Hyper-V side channel mitigations both on and off.

Host system is Core i9-10900, 32GB memory.

0 Kudos
jamesmoser
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently running RHEL 8 guest on a Fedora 34 host with workstation 16.1.2, and now 16.2.  When 3d acceleration is on and the host is suspended, the guest video/display never really recovers.  Its slightly distorted and most is completely frozen.  The OS itself is ok, because I can ssh into it and shut it down from the menu.   Disabling 3d acceleration solves this problem.

This same virtual machine does not seem to have the same problem with Windows 10 as the host, so I assumed this had something to do with the linux host or possibly the Nvidia driver for it, but maybe its related?

Update: I just did some additional testing on both windows 10 and fedora hosts.  It seems like my initial suspicions were correct and this is a Nvidia linux driver issue.  I was able to actually make it worse by disabling their new (and still experimental?) suspend functionality (options nvidia NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations=0).  I can't reproduce the issue in any way on Windows 10 host, and am not running a windows 10 guest. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

0 Kudos
klkitchens
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing here, using Player 15.5.7

Boot up and all is good.  Suspend (my normal weekday routine for this VM) and it's very sluggish after restore.  Had not tried disabling the 3d Acceleration and not sure I want to -- not sure what it will mess up, it's a full on business VM though, so maybe I could?

Not sure if HyperV is enabled on host machine.  It's new and I think it might be, lol.

0 Kudos