VMware Performance Community
VMwareUserR
Contributor
Contributor

vmmark/dbserver workload

I followed the steps in the benchmarking guide to create the database. ( took me half day) All the network connections seemed to be working. The "STAF.cfg" on both client and dbserver machines have been modified to set the trust level to "5" for the client machine and VM machine. When I ran the test, I got the following similar error for all three database scripts - sqlplus_shutdown.sh, sqlplus_startup.sh and backup.sh during the wkld setup phase,

Stafcmd Process: sqlplus_shutdown.sh failed to start/complete. Returned: RC=25, STAFResult=Trust level 5 required for the PROCESS service's START request. Requester has trust level 3 on machine dbserver0.unisys.com

Then, I added the trust level 5 to user "oracle" in STAF.cfg file, but it did not help. Any suggestion?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
psmith2006
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the easiest way is to set the default trust level to 5

TRUST DEFAULT LEVEL 5

or

TRUST LEVEL 5 MACHINE *.company.com

for more info see the STAF instructions on trust levels:

http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/STAFUG.htm#HDRTRUSTCFG

0 Kudos
VMwareUserR
Contributor
Contributor

I set the default level to 5 according to what you suggested. It seems to pass the trust level problem. But the test ran out of the disk space. ( I only use 16G disk drive) I need to add the space before I go further.

Can I ask you -

Which file(s) in the VMMark harness is triggering the stop/backup/start db operations?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
psmith2006
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

in the vmmark/xml file there is a _functions.xml module

that does handles the workload specific task in one of several functions

with Init, Config, Setup, Run, and GetResults in the name. The Setup

phase handles restores that may be needed.

FWIW, there is a Database/SKIPRESTORE flag in the VMMARK.CONFIG

file that if set to one will by pass the restore of the database that

can be useful when just trying to get things running since it can save

some time.

0 Kudos
VMwareUserR
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reminder of SKIPRESTORE.

I think I have passed the stages of "VMmark setup" and "VMmark wkld setup". I set "SKIPRESTORE" to 1 as you suggested. I am using the 5-min version of the VMMark.cfg file to do only 5-minute run. But the test seems to take forever. ( I am waiting more than 20 minutes) Part of the Active STAFCmds had the following text

... C:
vclient0//database//database0.wrf" workload "swingbench" wait stderrtostdout returnstdout sameconsole

The database0.wrf has the following output with all the measurements "0"

Author : Dominic Giles

Version : 2.3.0.83

Results will be written to results.xml.

Time Users TPM Nested TPM NCR BP OP PO BO

9:32:54 AM 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

9:33:54 AM 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

My questions are,

1. Why this output "database0.wrf" is under "vclient0\database" directory, not under "vmmark\result" directory like other workload?

2. If it is a 5-minute test, the test should stop after 5 minutes even though there is a restore operation? Correct?

3. The Benchmarking guide mentioned to rebuild the Redhat kernel to set the interrupt frequency, how this setup will affect this benchmark?

4. I dont think the test is running properly, any suggestion what should I check?

0 Kudos
psmith2006
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the test is still hung, then run vmmark/canceltest.sh

If you have DEBUGFLAG=1, then send the content of the results/Results_ directory after

the run phase test has completed/terminated.

Rebuilding the kernel with the new HZ rating improves the performance for

server workloads.

0 Kudos
psmith2006
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Also make sure you check out Appendix E

in the VMmark guide.

The 3rd page talks about troubleshooting

problems with the database workload

0 Kudos
VMwareUserR
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to ask you, at some point of time, does vmmark harness acquire the "PATH" system variable? how long the local variable of vmmark harrnees to hold the value of "PATH"? I have a very long "PATH" system variable since many software have been installed in this client system.

0 Kudos
VMwareUserR
Contributor
Contributor

I moved the path "c:\instantclient10_0" to the front of %PATH%, it works now.

0 Kudos
psmith2006
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Good.

0 Kudos