VMware Performance Community
kimono
Expert
Expert

Windows R2 CLIENT "Sysprep" breaking NTFS permissions on VCLIENT directory

Has anybody faced strange NTFS problems after sysprepping (if you sysprep) the prime client and creating the new clients from that image? For some reason, I had to change the NTFS owner of the \vclientX directory and create some new ACLs on that folder ... I first noticed the problem after configuring LOADSIM on CLIENT1 and finding out I could not write the new vmmark.sim file to \VCLIENTX\MAILSERVER directory, and I could not change the NTFS permissions at all. (all ADD ACL buttons were greyed out.)

My process was - create and test fully the prime client on 1 tile, shutdown and ghost the prime client (not sysprepped at this point), image the prime client to a new physical host, power new CLIENT up, run sysprep, configure new hostname, networking, join domain etc.

Or doesn't anybody bother with sysprepping the CLIENTS. ( I am considering skipping this from now on, as the CLIENTS all will end up in their own domains, and SID duplication is not an issue)

/kimono/
0 Kudos
2 Replies
rolandt
Contributor
Contributor

I do not use Sysprep and have not experienced a problem like your permissions issue.

Instead of sysprep I use newsid.exe from Sysinternals in my testbed. newsid.exe lets you generate a new SID for each client without all of the additional re-setup effort of Sysprep.

kimono
Expert
Expert

Thanks for this. I've used NEWSID before and will probably switch to it for the VMMARKING.

/kimono/
0 Kudos