VMware Performance Community
Mizzou_RobMan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMmark score

When reviewing the results of HP and Dell's posted VMmark results, how do I compare the two? If a HP BL 680 G5 scores 10.17 and a HP DL 580 G5 scores 11.54. What is this telling me, besides that it appears to be better? Does this mean a DL 580 will run 11 VMs at load versus the BL 680 running 10 VMs at load?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
psmith2006
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To more fully understand the VMmark metrics I would recommend reading the chapter in the VMmark Benchmarking Guide called "VMmark Benchmark Scoring Methodology" and reviewing the full disclosure reports associated with the published results. The Guide is part of the VMmark Kit.

The full metrics in the two examples sited are 10.17 @ 7 Tiles and 11.54 @ 8 Tiles, since each tile contains 6 VMs, this represents tests where 42 and 48 VMs were run in parallel. SInce VMmark is a system level benchmark the results indicate how the whole system (CPUs, Memory, Network, and Storage) performs under the VMmark workload.

You may also want to check out VROOM blog where several studies on VMmark have been published.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
psmith2006
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To more fully understand the VMmark metrics I would recommend reading the chapter in the VMmark Benchmarking Guide called "VMmark Benchmark Scoring Methodology" and reviewing the full disclosure reports associated with the published results. The Guide is part of the VMmark Kit.

The full metrics in the two examples sited are 10.17 @ 7 Tiles and 11.54 @ 8 Tiles, since each tile contains 6 VMs, this represents tests where 42 and 48 VMs were run in parallel. SInce VMmark is a system level benchmark the results indicate how the whole system (CPUs, Memory, Network, and Storage) performs under the VMmark workload.

You may also want to check out VROOM blog where several studies on VMmark have been published.

0 Kudos
Mizzou_RobMan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VROOM blog was very beneficial. Thanks for the info and explanation. I think I was being dense.

0 Kudos