VMware Performance Community
iinfi
Contributor
Contributor

VMmark 2.1.1 can a prime client sit on a VM

hi all quick question..

is there a specific need that we sud create the prime client on a physical server.

why is the architecture such that it cannot sit in a VM?

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
iinfi
Contributor
Contributor

has anyone tried to host a prime cleint in a VM?

does it work? the doc for some reason says:

NOTE The prime client must be a physical system. The other client systems can be either physical or virtual.

what happens if i host it in a vm?

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

There are various architectural reasons that the prime client must be run on a physical system.  Any run where the prime client was run within a VM would be considered non-complaint as well as it would not be comparable to other VMmark 2 results.  It might however work if you were trying to debug an environment but I wouldn't recommend it.

-Joshua
iinfi
Contributor
Contributor

thanks i will try this..

0 Kudos
BecharaAbouRaha
Contributor
Contributor

the client0/prime client could be the Vcenter itself or it will be some conflict????

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I can't think of anything in the benchmark that would stop this but due to it not having been tested, I can't say for sure. Due to the additional role/load you might run into unexpected performance issues.

-Joshua
0 Kudos
kfranks
Contributor
Contributor

I've run prime on a VM. But I think Joshua's comment about the compliancy and impact are reasons not to. In my deployment Prime and all of the clients are VMs. I had to bump up their memory and such to remove performance issues I saw with them. And another thing, if they are hitting the array hard, they induce enough load to skew the results of the tiles.

Regards,

-Kirk

0 Kudos