VMware Performance Community
Kpoplobster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The operation for the entity "DeployTemplate" failed with the following message: "Cannot complete customization."

I'm currently running my VMmark with the vCSA agent 6.0 update 2.  Most of the awnsers I found to this problem relate to the Windows version of vcenter.  It looks like its find the deploy.cab file, but for some reason is unable to complete the customization.  Any help would be apperciated.

I have attacahed my results file.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmorse
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please try to see if you can manually deploy your template.  Here are the steps:

1. From the vSphere Web Client, right-click on your deploy template.
  2. Select "New VM from This Template".
  3. In the name box enter "DeployVM0".
  4. Select the correct DC location and click next.
  5. Select your cluster and click next.
  6. Select your LUN and click next.
  7. Click the box next to "Power on virtual machine after creation" so that it is enabled.
  8. Click the box next to "Customize the operating system" and click next.
  9. Select the "StandbyCust" specification and click next.
  10. Click Finish.

Watch the deploy and customization from the vSphere Web Client. You should be able to see the VM power on and customize from the console without logging in. Wait about 5 minutes to see if all the cloning and OS specification processes have completed.  Then without logging into the newly created DeployVM, from the prime client, at a command prompt, type the following.

staf DeployVM0 ping ping

The proper response is PONG.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dmorse
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please try to see if you can manually deploy your template.  Here are the steps:

1. From the vSphere Web Client, right-click on your deploy template.
  2. Select "New VM from This Template".
  3. In the name box enter "DeployVM0".
  4. Select the correct DC location and click next.
  5. Select your cluster and click next.
  6. Select your LUN and click next.
  7. Click the box next to "Power on virtual machine after creation" so that it is enabled.
  8. Click the box next to "Customize the operating system" and click next.
  9. Select the "StandbyCust" specification and click next.
  10. Click Finish.

Watch the deploy and customization from the vSphere Web Client. You should be able to see the VM power on and customize from the console without logging in. Wait about 5 minutes to see if all the cloning and OS specification processes have completed.  Then without logging into the newly created DeployVM, from the prime client, at a command prompt, type the following.

staf DeployVM0 ping ping

The proper response is PONG.

0 Kudos
Kpoplobster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you.  I just dropped the deploy.cab file in the sysprep folder, I needed to extract the contents of the .cab file.  Stupid mistake!

0 Kudos
Kpoplobster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One more question:

When I power on the machine, it still asks me to enter a password for the administrator.  Is this a misconfiguration with the customization on my side?  I thought it should automaticly get the password I specified.

0 Kudos
dmorse
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, it should auto-logon, just like the Standby VM it was cloned from, so it sounds like something is misconfigured.

0 Kudos