VMware Performance Community
PigJames
Contributor
Contributor

Some question about VMmark

Hi,I am a newbie on VMmark and VMware virtualization technology,

I got some questions about this, could someone help me to clarify whether they are right .

1) Here is the architecure I think,

First we put several workload VM (such as OlioWeb) on ESXi hypervisor (by using VSphere Client ) ,

and then on prime client , we launch STAX monitor to submit job on this ESXi hypervisor.

(Configurations depends on C:\VMmark2\VMMARK2.config)

Is it correct? If yes,

then what is the role vSphere vCenter play?

2) What's the difference between "prime client" and "client0"?

3) Is it able to run only Olio test alone ?

(the workload VM on my ESXi are only OlioDB and OlioWeb)

Sorry for the stupid question and thanks for response.

James.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jamesz08
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. The full test consists of a cluster of 2 or more ESX hosts, vCenter is needed to create the cluster.  You don't submit the job to ESX hosts, it is submitted to the prime client.

2. prime client is essentially the controler for the benchmark.  Client0 is the workload generator for tile0.  They can be the same system or seperate.

3. You can run any of the tests alone, however that would not allow you to publish as an official VMmark result. If you would like to publish a subset of the VMmark workload you would need to follow the "Fair Use" rules listed in the Run Rules.

PigJames
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks .

Here I got some other question,

I set Windows server 2008 as my prime client,

while installing STAF, I open the executable, it didn't show the setup window and just closed.

and I found 0.2G of my disk dissapeared.

How to fix that?

0 Kudos
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert

Hi PigJames,

You will want to install either STAF348-setup-win32.exe or STAF348-setup-winamd64.exe depending on the bitness of your client.

Try opening a command window and executing your STAF installation package from the window. What is the output?

Thanks,

Rebecca

0 Kudos
PigJames
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I want to install STAF348-setup-win32.exe and I can't see anything changed from cmd window.

Look like this,

C:\Users\Administrator>C:\STAF348-setup-win32.exe

C:\Users\Administrator>

0 Kudos
jamesz08
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you try running from cmd window with "-i console" switch:

STAF348-setup-win32.exe -i console

0 Kudos