VMware Performance Community
Paul_Brannon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SPECjbb2005 1.0.7 setup.jar: Could not load winAMD64ppk.dll

I'm having trouble installing the SPECjbb2005 into my VMmark javaserver0.

Running the SPECjbb2005 setup.exe brings up a window with "Errors occurred during installation" and ". null". This follows the prompt for a suitable JVM. Installation never makes it as far as the Install Wizard.

Running the command line "java -jar setup.jar" spews out lines of text starting with:

"Unable to initialize service systemUtilService. Could not load native JNI DLL winAMD64ppk.dll"

followed by additional failures to initialize services due to the inability to load winAMD64ppk.dll.

I'm running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition with Service Pack 2

java -version reports

"Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_14-b03)

BEA JRockit(R) (build R27.5.0-110_o-99226-1.5.0_14-20080528-1505-windows-x86_64,

compiled mode)"

I tried this first with a VM I built in Fusion. Then I performed just the steps that load the OS, JRockit, and the SPECjbb2005 on a VM created in ESX 3.5. Identical failures in both machines.

Has anyone else seen this?

thanks,

paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
neilst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem yesterday. To fix this I did the following:

• Removed JRocket

• Install 32bit SUN JRE (ver 6)

• Installed SPECjbb2005 (all installed correctly)

• Removed SUN jre

• Installed JRocket

Regards

Neil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
psmith2006
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The only mentions of this error indicated that the installshield used for this kit was only happy with a 1.4,2 jvm. The kit was create back in 2006 and the version of installshield may not have been the newest.

Have you tried installing without the GUI?

I believe the command is either

java setup -o <installation_directory>

or

java -jar setup.jar -console

0 Kudos
Paul_Brannon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. Here's what I get:

D:\>java setup -o c:\apps\SPECjbb2005

Exception in thread "Main Thread" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: setup

"java -jar setup.jar -console" produces the same errors as "java -jar setup.jar"

0 Kudos
psmith2006
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I've been able to run java -jar setup.jar -console from a windows command window and a cygwin window without problems.

You might double check that you've installed the right version of jRocket for the platform.

As best as I can tell all the install does is copy everything off the CD into the specified directory - with the exception of the setup.* files. - so this may be you best bet.

Another workaround might be to install jbb on a linux box or VM and the zip up the resulting jbb directory and move it to the windows box.

If you can't run jbb.jar then there is likely some issue related to the java installation and/or JAVA_HOME or CLASSPATH environment variables.

Message was edited by: psmith2006

Paul_Brannon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I installed "jrockit-R27.5.0-jdk1.5.0_14-windows-x64.exe" downloaded from Oracle with your help from a previous post (thank you for that).

VMware's build document couldn't be simpler. I made a 2 processor VM according to their instructions. Installed Windows 2003 Server Enterprise 64 bit edition using the wizard. Straightforward install of JRockit. Ran the "java -version" to get:

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_14-b03)

BEA JRockit(R) (build R27.5.0-110_o-99226-1.5.0_14-20080528-1505-windows-x86_64, compiled mode)

Ordered SPECjbb2005 1.07 from Spec. And I can't run the installer. I must be doing something fundamentally boneheaded.

I did the same procedures installing the 32 bit JRockit product onto my Standby0 VM and the SPECjbb2005 installed fine. I confirmed what you observed that the SPEC install appears to be a copy of the CD into the installation directory minus some setup files. The only recently modified files I found there were from the uninstaller.

So I'm going to hope that is all there is to the install and carry on.

Thanks a lot,

paul

0 Kudos
Paul_Brannon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I copied the entire contents of the SPECjbb2005 to c:\apps\SPECjbb2005 and ran c:\apps\SPECjbb2005\run.bat

Final output was "No errors. Valid run."

So I think this is a valid workaround for the installation problem.

Thanks for your help,

paul

0 Kudos
neilst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem yesterday. To fix this I did the following:

• Removed JRocket

• Install 32bit SUN JRE (ver 6)

• Installed SPECjbb2005 (all installed correctly)

• Removed SUN jre

• Installed JRocket

Regards

Neil

0 Kudos