VMware Performance Community
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

Running vmharness, can't get past mailserver0 restore process

We got thru all the initial setup issues we were having with vmharness.

The last message we get in the stax job monitor screen is :

Tile 0: Starting MailServer restore process.

Then we get nothing else...never completes.

I am going to attach the stax job monitor screen print and also our application event log from mailserver0.

I am not sure if those event logs are normal and this is still running or if the event logs indicate an issue.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Everything in the DS2web wrf files seems to be running fine.  Is there some sort of error message in the staf window/logs?  Have you tried just rebooting everything and then running again?

-Joshua

-Joshua
0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure what other logs I can look at? Only thing I had was the Sfax job monitor screen. Each run does the same thing. Before I left for the day I kicked off a longer run.

Sen

0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

Ran another test today. We took vmotion out of the Infrastructurelist because we only have one host we are trying to benchmark.

After doing this I get the following results.

In the top half ot the stax job monitor for this running tile, what it ends up with is this:

Main

Tile0: Mailserverclient (timestamp that is incrementing)

If I highlight that step, then down in the bottom half of the screen under Current selection, you see that it is trying to do a loadgencmd.exe

The params being passed are: /r /c C:
vclient0\mailserver\vmmark2-mailserver0.xml

When I look on the mail server that file does not exist. How was that supposed to be created ? Did I miss a step.

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That file should be on client0 not the mailserver.  Take a look at client0's C:\vclient0\mailserver\vmmark2-mailserver0.xml file.

-Joshua

-Joshua
0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, that one is there. Any idea what I can do to troubleshoot this issue ? It seems like it is keeping us from getting results.

I look in that same folder on client0 and there are no errors in the error report.

It does appear that it is happening when trying to do a loadgen….is there some test I can do manually to see if that works ?

I am including the mailserver wrf and one of the log files.

0 Kudos
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert

Yes, you can run a LoadGen simulation manually. It's similar to the steps you took to initialize the Mailserver database. Follow the steps on page 88 of the benchmarking guide under "Configure LoadGen", except use C:\vclient0\mailserver\vmmark2-mailserver0.xml instead of vmmark2initializationtemplate.xml. You should not have to edit any fields, and choose the initialization and simulation option to do a manual run.

Your .wrf file shows the exchange counters are not being created on the client, which to me suggests a problem with loadgen.

0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

The loadgen was failing, too much load. We realized that the mailserver only had 1 vcpu and 4gb memory, we have corrected that

And are doing another test.

Thanks

0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

I ran the manual loadgen and it completed successfully now.

I kicked off another full run and I have been keeping open task manager on mailserver0, I never see the loadgen startup ? By that I mean that

I never see the cpu percent used go up at all, running less than 1 %. When I did the manual, the cpu’s were running at 30%.

So how can I tell why the remote loadgen is not working?

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you ran manually did you verify that no user interaction was required to proceed and start the run?  Also, if you will ensure that the staf window is visible on client0, it may show some indication as to what is happening when the harness is running it.

-Joshua

-Joshua
0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just in case you don't know how to make the staf window appear on client0.

1.  Open a command prompt on client0.

2.  Type "staf local shutdown shutdown"

3.  Wait 30 seconds.

4.  Type "C:\STAF\startSTAFProc.bat"

-Joshua
0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

To run it manually, I was logged onto mailserver0 and basically did these steps that Rebeca has outlined:

, you can run a LoadGen simulation manually. It's similar to the steps you took to initialize the Mailserver database. Follow the steps on page 88 of the benchmarking guide under "Configure LoadGen", except use C:\vclient0\mailserver\vmmark2-mailserver0.xml instead of vmmark2initializationtemplate.xml. You should not have to edit any fields, and choose the initialization and simulation option to do a manual run.

I am not sure what I do to make sure that staf window is visable on client 0 ?

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should run it manually from client0 not mailserver0 to make sure all the permissions are correct.

I outlined the instructions for the staf window in my previous comment.  Take a look and let me know if you need any help.

-Joshua
0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

How do I run the loadgen manually from client0 ?

I am doing the regular run with the sfaf window open right now…..

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Rebecca's instructions should still apply.  You should be able to run the loadgen GUI by finding it with program files.  If it isn't there you may have installed it on the wrong system.

-Joshua
0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

Is loadgen supposed to be installed on mailserver0 or client0 or both ?

We only have it installed on mailserver0 right now ??

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Only on client0.

-Joshua
0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I hope you have submitted a doc update request on that too Smiley Wink

The instructions for loadgen are right in the middle of the mailserver exchange setup, it does say

0 Kudos
tschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, now totally confused. Anyway you can call me ? if so, here is my number 469-585-5899.

Were we also supposed to install exchange or exchange tools on client0 ?

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmm,  at first glance I'd have to disagree on this one.  In my copy, starting on page 84, section tile "Install and Configure the Workload Client Software", it seems to be a pretty straightforward process to me.  Am I missing something?

-Joshua
0 Kudos