VMware Performance Community
Vikas0201
Contributor
Contributor

QOS Issue: Observed QOS in the mailserver QOS as 0.00

Hi

We are able to successfully complete the VMmark run except the QOS for the mail server appears as 0.00. Please find the attached result zipped folder. For your reference memory and storage for the virtual client as well as mail server are as per the VMmark benchmarking guide.

> In the attached result folder, under mailserver-debug0 folder, in mailserverclient_error0 we observed there are no trace listeners found . What does actually it means and affect the QOS of mail server.?

>  Also find the screenshot of the Report File: C:\Program Files\Exchange Load Generator\Loadgen20131220_09044.html

Please help us in resolving this issue, kindly treat it as urgent query.

==

Regards,

Vikas Kumar

6 Replies
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As you can see from your own png (exhcange_loadgen_2) Loadgen reported over 300K task exceptions.  Since the mailserver is effectively not doing the work requested the QoS is zero.  The trace listeners message can be ignored. 

Double check that you have setup the mailserver (including initialization) per the benchmarking guide. 

Was that Loadgen screen shot from a VMmark2 run or a manual one that you did?  If you haven't tried to run it manually, I'd recommend doing so (there are instructions in the benchmarking guide for reference).

-Joshua
0 Kudos
Vikas0201
Contributor
Contributor

VMmark2 run.

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you haven't tried to run it manually, I'd recommend doing so (there are instructions in the benchmarking guide for reference).

-Joshua
0 Kudos
anandbibhuti
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I presume you are mentioning to run Microsoft Exchange Loadgen configuration (which includes initialization phase) on client. During mailbox initialization could see Task exceptions (numerically almost same as that of "task initiated" and "task completed"). Mailserver creation/software installation part looks fine and was done as recommended in User Guide.

Recently , password of mailserver virtual machines have been changed and this new password has been modified in the vclient/mailserver/vmmark2initializationtemplate.xml file of the corresponding client too. But now, virtualclient and mailserver have different login passwords.

Also, my mailserver vm's OS  is not registered/activated. Do you think any of the above two could be reason of these exceptions ?

Detail study of loadgenInit logfile may help here ?

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm referring to the troubleshooting section of the benchmarking guide titled "Manually Run LoadGen".  You should definitely go through this section as it may help you with your issue.

The password is your likely problem.  Keep in mind you need to make sure the password you've specified in your VMMARK2.config is correct as that is the one that is automatically used by the test harness.

Again, you should be going back through the benchmarking guide and making sure that all of the configuration steps were completed, any missed steps will likely result in failures.  Once you are confident of your configuration, follow the benchmarking guide's instructions for running Loadgen manually as that will help you figure out if you've gotten it right without having to run the test harness.

-Joshua
anandbibhuti
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed password was the issue in my case. But it was not the password in VMMARK2.config or vclient/mailserver/vmmark2initializationtemplate.xml file's password which was causing the QoS problem. Issue was due to the fact that mailserver password was changed recently. It was not the one using which microsoft exchange server was installed on virtualclient.

I deleted mailbox on mailserver, uninstalled  microsoft exchange on virtualclient and reinstalled it using new password of mailserver , recreated mailboxes on mailserver and then reconfigured loadgen. After that in results can see appropriate(non zero) values for mailserver QoS.

0 Kudos