VMware Performance Community
krishnadc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guidance / Examples to input LUN details for SVMotion/XVMotion/Deploy infrastructure operations

Hi,

I've provisioned Workload VMs (1 Tile) using VMMark3 and planning to start the Benchmark Run with 1 Tile. My plan is to run for 1 Tile for now.

I've installed 3 ESXi servers and 2 DataStores as a part of our VMMark infrastructure.

I'm looking for any guidance / examples to input the LUN details for infrastructure operations (I've got 4 LUNs across 2 DataStores). This is part of the Infrastructure Ops settings in VMMark3.properties file.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Krishna

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Krishna,

Yes, you should input the target LUN names into those parameters within the VMmark3.properties file.  You must use the LUN names as vCenter and the ESXi hosts know them by.  To validate, go to your vCenter server.  Click the Menu button then select "Storage"  navigate to the datacenter you're work with and under there with be the names.

-Joshua

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fredab2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In general you need to have your fastest (least latency) LUNs running the DVD DB and Weathervane  DB's for best workload scores and QOS passing. For best iInfrastructure scores the fastest LUNs would be used for Deploy and SVmotion. 

Fred

krishnadc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks fredab2

To confirm, I should input the target LUNs as values for SVmotion/XVmotion/Deploy parameters in VMMark3.properties file , Is it correct?

Also, Can I give the target DataStore names for these parameters instead of LUN names?

// Infrastructure Ops Settings

// This section must be filled out prior to beginning benchmark runs.

// String SVmotion/SVMotionLUNs : Specifies which LUNs to use for Storage VMotions.  Must be shared storage. : Default empty

SVmotion/SVMotionLUNs =

// String XVmotion/XVMotionLUNs : Specifies which LUNs to use for XVMotions.  Must be shared storage. : Default empty

XVmotion/XVMotionLUNs =

// String Deploy/DeployLUNs : Specifies which LUNs to use for Deploys.  Must be shared storage. : Default empty

Deploy/DeployLUNs =

0 Kudos
jpschnee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Krishna,

Yes, you should input the target LUN names into those parameters within the VMmark3.properties file.  You must use the LUN names as vCenter and the ESXi hosts know them by.  To validate, go to your vCenter server.  Click the Menu button then select "Storage"  navigate to the datacenter you're work with and under there with be the names.

-Joshua