VMware Performance Community
LinLi
Contributor
Contributor

First time to run VMmark 3.0, got error "STAX service not registered",

I have to use VMmark 3.0 since my ESXi host is 6.5. Primeclient is CentOS. Not sure what to look at service or event log. Thanks,

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert

Hi LinLi, I can help you with this issue but the earliest I can take a look is Monday Feb 22. In the meantime, is there anything about this in either the troubleshooting section of the Users Guide or on this forum?

0 Kudos
LinLi
Contributor
Contributor

Of course, I can wait till Monday. At the meantime, I checked the service log, found this message. Thanks!

[root@vmmark3 ~]# journalctl _SYSTEMD_UNIT=startstaf.service
-- Logs begin at Fri 2021-02-19 17:07:56 EST, end at Fri 2021-02-19 17:10:52 EST. --
Feb 19 17:07:59 vmmark3 startSTAFProc.sh[774]: Machine : localhost
Feb 19 17:07:59 vmmark3 startSTAFProc.sh[774]: Machine nickname : localhost
Feb 19 17:07:59 vmmark3 startSTAFProc.sh[774]: Startup time : 20210219-17:07:59
Feb 19 17:07:59 vmmark3 startSTAFProc.sh[774]: STAFProc version 3.4.25 initialized
Feb 19 17:10:20 vmmark3 startSTAFProc.sh[774]: 20210219-17:10:20;140073931687680;00000100;STAFProcess::processMonitorThread: Error opening /dev/tty, errno: 6

0 Kudos
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert

Hi LinLi, to resolve this issue please try restarting the VMmark prime client. 

Also you should be running on VMmark 3.1.1 which contains security updates, bug fixes, and more.  VMmark 3.1.1 is compatible with vSphere versions 6.0 and later. You'll find more details in the VMmark User's Guide and the VMmark 3.1.1 Release Notes found on the VMmark downloads page.

0 Kudos
LinLi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

I restarted primeclient, it didn't help.

The problem with VMmark 3.1 or 3.1.1 is that I couldn't deploy the VM template from downloaded ova file which was exported from ESXi 6.7.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert

OK, thank you for the update. I will look into this and get back to you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
LinLi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

I compared the doc between 3.0 and 3.11, the key difference is the starting make-prime.sh after network settings on primeclient. Following the script, I notice the following codes (make-prime.sh),

systemctl stop startstaf.service
sleep 5
mv -f /usr/local/staf/bin/STAF-prime.cfg /usr/local/staf/bin/STAF.cfg
sleep 10
systemctl start startstaf.service

I already enabled rabbitmq-server service on boot, enabled graphic-interface. What I needed is to run the above codes, so far the 'service not registered' is gone. I can run a tile0 test now. Some one may need to update user guide for VMmark 3.0.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
LinLi
Contributor
Contributor

Actually it is mentioned in Users guide on page 45.

0 Kudos
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert

Hi LinLi, glad to hear you've got the problem resolved. From what I understand, it occurred because make-prime.sh wasn't run during the prime client configuration. Thank you, it's good to know because other users on the forum might encounter the same problem.

I wanted to share a potential cause of why you had trouble running VMmark 3.1.1 on vSphere 6.5 even though VMmark is supported back to 6.0.

There is a known issue deploying the VMmark 3.1.1 template using the vCenter 6.5 web client, which creates a misconfigured option on the deployed VM. To fix this, please see the VMmark 3.1.1 User's Guide, "Problems Deploying the VMmark Template" in the Troubleshooting section.

0 Kudos
LinLi
Contributor
Contributor

I am running first test with tile0, the VMmark wkld setup has been running for 20 hours. Other users have the similar issue with 3.0, look like it is fixed in 3.1.1. Is there a way to upgrade VMmark 3.0 to 3.1.1? My vCenter server appliance is running 6.7, ESXi hosts are 6.5, just can't deploy VMmark 3.1.1 template.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert

"Is there a way to upgrade VMmark 3.0 to 3.1.1?"

Yes, you'll need to run on 3.1.1. To move from 3.0 to 3.1.1 requires a redeployment of the 3.1.1 template. It's not possible to convert an existing set of VMmark VMs to 3.1.1. You can see the details in the VMmark 3.1.1. Release Notes on the VMmark downloads page. 

If you haven't, try the steps in the troubleshooting section, "Problems Deploying the VMmark Template" to deploy the new 3.1.1 template.

0 Kudos