VMware VMUG Community
Baba_Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NIC Problem After Upgrading a Win XP guest wo Win 7

I have a Win XP Pro guest running on a Linux host. I successfully upgraded it to Win 7 Ulimate including the activation step and updating across the Internet. After rebooting the guest Win 7 system, it claimed that I did not have an ethernet adapter installed!

Is there a workaround or a driver download, which will solve the problem? (Note that my Win 7 installation DVD is only for updating an installed system - it cannot be booted.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Take a look at the VM's vmx file and replace (or add if it does not exist) the virtual NIC adapter to an Intel E1000 NIC.

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

If this does not work, please attach the latest vmware.log file.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
netview
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In device manager you see the network card?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

First, change the guest OS selection in the VM's settings to Windows 7 and make sure the VM has a virtual NIC in the hardware list and the NIC is set to "Connect at Power On". Verify - as already posted - the NIC is shown in the Device Manager and install/update VMware Tools in the Windows 7 guest.

André

0 Kudos
Baba_Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No. No NIC is recognized. FWIW, the MS Win 7 Comparability utility warned about this, but I figured that there would be a VMware driver that could be hand loaded. The fact is, that WS 7 does support Win 7, so it has to be somewhere.

Message was edited by: a.p. - Removed VCF with personal data!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Take a look at the VM's vmx file and replace (or add if it does not exist) the virtual NIC adapter to an Intel E1000 NIC.

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

If this does not work, please attach the latest vmware.log file.

André

0 Kudos
Baba_Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh, heck! That's just too obvious ... I'll give it a twirl and if all goes well, I'll reply again with a summary posting. That should be in a FAQ ... Back in a few hours.

Message was edited by: a.p. - Removed VCF attachment with personal data!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Whatever application/device you use for posting, it attaches your VCF with personal data to each post.

André

0 Kudos
Baba_Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked just fine. I'm curious about one more aspect of all this: I had to add the extra line in the vmx file. Is this documented somewhere I should have known about, perhaps by RTFM?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I think for Windows XP the default network adapter is "vlance" and therefore no entry in the vmx file is needed. For all other network adapters the entry exists. For network settings in VMware Workstation/Player take a look at e.g. http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-network-advanced.html

André

PS: In case you are interested. KB article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1001805 describes the different network adapters for ESX(i).