VMware VMUG Community
oxment
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate from VMware Server 1 to ESXI server

Hello,

I have a program that is using VMWare server 1 and use command line to communicate with VMware server. I just wonder, is it possible to use those old commands in ESXI server or I need to change commands in ESXI server?

I don't want to use SDK, because in that case, I need to change all parts of my code.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - It depends what you are doing with the command line - ESXi has a GUI client that you can do all the configuration and managemnet - it is the preferred method. You do have have other options to provide a CLI for the ESXi host - you can enable an console one the (it is disabled by default) or use a the vSphere Management Appliance (vMA) a free virtual that provides a remote CLI to manage your ESxi host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
oxment
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, I have a program that has been written for VMware server 1. This program use CLI to communicate with this server( it didn't have any other interface), it made VMX file and then create virtual machine, there are some other actions like delete virtual machines and etc.

I just wondered, is it possible to use these commands in ESXI or I need to change those commands? Is there any equivalent for those commands in ESXI? Do VMware have a mechanism to make migration from old versions to ESXI server?

0 Kudos