VMware Cloud Community
anonwork
Contributor
Contributor

os x, could not locate vmware-authd executable

Hi there,

We have a big problem with VMware Remote Console for mac OS X. We are running 10.11.1 OS El Capitan.

After trying to connect to vm from vCenter web client after a while we receive this error:

"Unable to connect to tke MKS: Could not locate vmware-authd executable."

This executable is not in Application folder of VMware Remote Console.

The console is able to send standard commands linke ( restart, stop, etc.. ) but it is not posible to interact within the quest itself.

Tags (2)
5 Replies
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMRC doesn't ship with vmware-authd because it's not needed for the types of connections supported. I suspect VMRC cannot make the MKS connection due to a firewall blocking port 902 and the shared code falls back to to attempt other modes. Make sure VMRC can communicate with your server on 902. One way to do this is check the response to a telnet request, ex.

telnet server 902

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using NAT? We have seen similar issues when a vSphere web client is NAT'd via a OneCloud setup.

0 Kudos
avoltmer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I had the same issue which I was able to fix by making sure my MacOS client could correctly resolve machine names in DNS.

kurtisvm
Contributor
Contributor

This post was helpful, but to clarify I had to ensure the machine that I was launching the console from could resolve the private IP address of the hosts that the VM is running on.  Once I added the VMs host to my /etc/hosts file I this error went away and remote console worked Smiley Happy

tjk176
Contributor
Contributor

Adding this to help any future people with this issue.  For me I had to open port 902 in my firewall to allow access to my ESXi server.  I'm not sure why it stopped working but that fixed it for me. 

0 Kudos