VMware Cloud Community
BarrySmoke
Contributor
Contributor

frustrated, vmrc won't install windows 8.1

installation throws error, installation directory must be on a local hard drive.

Not sure what to do...this must be installed with vsphere 5 to install operating systems.  you can't use the vsphere client anymore...

I did a google search, and saw nothing related to vmrc, but I did see other people having this issue with msi files.  followed all reccomendations, freed some disk space, no other msiexec running, rebooted, nothing is allowing me to install vmrc.

can we go back to vsphere client now please.

6 Replies
fincherjc
Contributor
Contributor

To resolve:

1. open administrative command prompt

2. cd to directory with the msi file

3. msiexec /i VMWARE-MSI-INSTALLER-FILE-NAME

4. Follow wizard as directed

BarrySmoke
Contributor
Contributor

I should have posted back, I never got the vmrc to install, but when I went to browse a datastore, some other components were installed, and that worked properly.  That made the console work, like magic.

I still do not like the web console much, and being forced to use it from now on.  It would be fine if things worked, but I've experienced a lot of trouble with it.

0 Kudos
danyaleman07
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, your help resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Re: error, installation directory must be on a local hard drive.

When you get to the installation step which prompts "Install VMware Remote Console to:" to verify the installation path, what path is shown? Are you changing this?

I can reproduce the error if I type in a network folder in that field and click Next.

0 Kudos
davewats0n
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue and experienced the same result with the msiexec /i workaround. I have not changed the default installation directory, which is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Remote Console\

I've also tried installing on other local drives, with the same result:

Installation directory must be on a local hard drive.

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We are tracking this issue with ticket #1650048. We have not been able to reproduce this yet, please give us more information: After installing Windows have you made any significant changes to the setup? Are you a domain user? Do you have admin privileges? What antivirus/antimalware/firewall are you running? Can you install other software normally? Can you install VMware Player? Download here, install without entering a license for testing.

0 Kudos