VMware Cloud Community
rhtdhumal
Contributor
Contributor

VSphere - Remote Console View only settings required.

Planning to us VMware to monitor the UAT and PROD BOTS, however to a better control want to give restricted access to users can only view the remote console and cannot be perform any action like click. Can anyone help or share the settings.

Appreciate Quick Revert.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't heard of such an option being available. You might have better luck granting VNC access as globally view only.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The only privilege for this is called Console Interaction, and it is all or nothing - there is no ”view only” option.

Reference: Required Privileges for Common Tasks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
rhtdhumal
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Scott for sharing the information.

Around the requirement would like to understand if we able to limit/disable user to interact with console to enable prompt security to data.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you explain in more detail what you mean by “to limit/disable user to interact with console to enable prompt security to data" - I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
rhtdhumal
Contributor
Contributor

Requirement is the screen Monitoring user can only view the remote machine but could not interact with screen using mouse or keyboard.

Because of this user will only see the screen but will not able to manipulate any application.

Hope this will clear the requirement.

Thanks Scott.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That is no different from my understanding of what you originally said, thanks for clarifying.

As stated above, the VM console is not your solution - you need to look at something that can run on the guest OS.

0 Kudos