VMware Cloud Community
ttib2
Contributor
Contributor

VMRC limit privlège of resize

Hello everybody ,
With the new VRMC in Vsphère webClient V6 we have the possibility to resize the Windows , but when we resize the Windows the impact is that the graphic resolution of server change.
it is a problem for us because we have force the resolution of the virtual machine with these option via powercli.
New-AdvancedSetting -Entity $vm -Name svga.autodetect -Value false -Confirm:$false -Force:$true
New-AdvancedSetting -Entity $vm -Name svga.maxHeight -Value 1024 -Confirm:$false -Force:$true
New-AdvancedSetting -Entity $vm -Name svga.maxWidth -Value 1280 -Confirm:$false -Force:$true
do you know how to disable the possibility of change the size of the VMRC console ?
thanks in advance.
51398_51398.jpgvmrc.jpg
8 Replies
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe this is a combination of having VMware Tools installed on the VM and VMRC/Windows set to "Autofit Guest" (see Workstation, View>Autosize menu). VMRC does not have an option to change this behavior, however VMRC/Mac does not do this by default, same as Fusion. I do not know if this can be disabled from the VMware Tools side, I will look into it and get back to you.

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have not found a way to configure VMware Tools to stop this. Some remote clients respond to preference file tweaks but VMRC does not. This may be added in the future if there is demand for it.

0 Kudos
SITAM
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everybody , we have the same problem. We need to force the resolution of a virtual machine on which we develop supervision which is very sensitive to change resolution.

Are there new about this with the new version 8.0.1 of VMRC ?
0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We're tracking a change to optionally configure this autofit guest behavior in ticket 1619302. In the mean time you can work around this on Windows VMs by deleting resolutionSet.dll from VMware Tools, ex. C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\plugins\vmsvc\resolutionSet.dll. Repairing or reinstalling Tools will restore the file.

0 Kudos
SITAM
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks you for your reply

0 Kudos
sessionx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I've done some testing with this in a few versions of VMware:

esxi 6 u2

vcenter 6

vcenter 6.5

esxi 6.5

html5 and vmrc are affected

only workaround is to rename resolutionset.dll and restart vmtools and the console screen does not auto-resize.

I have raised a ticket with VMware and they're looking into it.

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To prevent resizing on Windows VMs running Server 2008 and newer, delete C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareResolutionSet.exe. Repair VMware Tools from Control Panel to restore behavior.

egilkey
Contributor
Contributor

Dude, you are a hero. Nay, a god. I've been looking for a solution like this for a year!

0 Kudos