VMware Cloud Community
weilin07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMRC in vCAC or vRA

Is there any way that I can use VMRC connect VM in vCAC or vRA portal?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
yitingjin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, if all you're looking to do is to access basic mouse/keyboard/screen in your VM console and Send Ctrl+Alt+Delete, that functionality will be included in the next release of vRA.  Let me know if you're looking to do more, though -- such as international keyboard and connecting devices from your client machine to a remote ESX host.  We're working on getting more of that advanced functionality into vRA. 

Also, are you a vRA admin, or end user requesting objects from the vRA catalog?

0 Kudos
pizzle85
Expert
Expert

Looks like this is a dead thread, however we're a service provider. And we're looking to allow our users to mount ISOs to their VMs through vRA.

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The type of connection that VMRC 8.0 makes with vRA doesn't allow access to any local resources like ISOs, USB devices, etc. like a vSphere connection does. Sorry to say that this functionality won't likely be available any time soon for vRA.

0 Kudos
pizzle85
Expert
Expert

I ended up using the package below. It generates a VMRC URL in a text field in a resource action. I then granted all my vRA users remote console access in vCenter on the DRS Clusters as described at the link below. The end result is that my vRA users can copy and past the link into a new browser window, authenticate and viola they have a VMRC connection to a vRA resource. Its ugly, but it works...

VMRC-Link Creation Package for vRO

The Standalone VMRC Console and permissions…….

0 Kudos
ksc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

pizzle85:

If that works for you, great! That's why we document how VMRC works.

I'll give you two caveats that you have to evaluate for your environment.

1) vRA interposes on the connections because we also want to do host hiding - e.g. prevent vRA end users from being routable to VC or ESX hosts. It sounds like you can accept that exposure. (And it is that hiding specifically that prevents the remote ISO access).

2) The direct-to-VC VMRC link carries a full VC user session - it's not *used* for anything except console access to a single VM, but is credentialed for access to all VMs associated with that VC user. If you can accept that exposure, you are fine; vRA as a product cannot.

0 Kudos
arubio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi

we also are looking to allow our users to mount ISOs to their VMs through vRA.

0 Kudos
pizzle85
Expert
Expert

I've been using the package at the link above for a few months with hundreds of customers and thousands of VMs with no reported issues. Works like a charm.

0 Kudos