VMware Cloud Community
Malfoii
Contributor
Contributor

VMRC Plug-in via proxy work?

Hello!

I've been trying to use VMRC Plugin embedded in vCenter Server 5.5 to display the screen of VMs via a proxy from Internet Explorer.

One of the arguments of startup() method in VMRC has 'usebrowserproxy', but can this argument work fine when a plugin embedded in vCenter Server is used?
Or should we use the plugin embedded in vCloud Director instead?

If the plugin embedded in vCenter Server would work fine, how should we configure the proxy server? Can we use Apache for this purpose?
In addition, how should we configure Apache for this purpose?

3 Replies
jstockall
Contributor
Contributor

The VMRC plugin sends traffic over two ports (443 and 902) in it's standard configuration. The 902 traffic is the actual remote console screen data while 443 is the SOAP messages used to setup the connection. You will not be able to use a HTTP proxy to sit in between the VMRC plugin and your ESX. You'll need to use something purpose built like the vCloud Director console proxy.

0 Kudos
ahuete
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

As jstockall mentioned it seems it's not possible to specify a proxy for VMRC. However you can create an ssh tunnel for those ports (443, 902) to localhost and then connect to the UI at https://localhost/ and launch VMRC for the VM you need. I've tried that and it worked quite well even on slow links.

Regards,

Antonio Huete

0 Kudos
Carl_MTM
Contributor
Contributor

I am using vCenter to manage a few 6.0 hosts before we upgrade. 

We are connecting through a SSH Proxy via Putty

vCenter only allows the use of the VMware Remote Console, which doesn't work via the SSH Proxy.

However if you connect to the ESXi Host directly with a web GUI then you can do a remote console in a web browser and do not need the VMware Remote Console.  (May not work in 6.5 or 6.7) but this worked for me and since my search landed here first I figured I would add my comments here.

Thanks,

0 Kudos