VMware Cloud Community
gusit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Typing stops working randomly in VMRC

Hi!

I have VMware Remote Console 10.0.1 installed and have a problem that the typing stops working randomly. To get it working again I must disconnect and connect again.
And after that it´s working for a couple of minutes and then I must do the same thing again.

The same thing happens on both VMware 5.5 and 6.5, and I´m running Windows 10.

Anyone had the same problem, and found a solution?

Best regards
Gustav

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gusit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi! I have found a solution on the issue.

In my case it was Webroot that messed with the VMRC. So we found out that you could inactivate the "Identity Protection" or remove Webroot.

Hope this help someone more!

Best regards

Gustav

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

i havent experienced this problem before. have you checked accessing VMRC from a different desktop or laptop? just to check its an issue with your current desktop.

Its good to check the memory and CPU utilization  of your desktop (windows task manager) when you see this issue.

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is the VM responsive to the mouse when you can't type? Can you verify that the connection is "alive" otherwise--that the VM's screen updates?

On what platform are you running VMRC? Please check the VMRC and MKS logs for problems:

• Windows: %TEMP%\vmware-%USERNAME%\
  • Mac
    • ~/Library/Logs/VMware/vmware-mks*.log
    • ~/Library/Logs/VMware Remote Console/vmware-vmrc*.log
  • Linux: /tmp/vmware-$USER/
0 Kudos
scheunna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am seeing this same behavior in the VMRC 10.0.2.  If I maximize the window characters show up again when typing, but only for seconds in some cases.  If I then restore the window to the original size characters show up again when typing.  This is extremely frustrating when typing passwords.  Yes, many times it stops in the middle of a 15 character password.  Any one found a solution to this yet?

0 Kudos
Kerat01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still seems to be a problem in 6.5u2 running VMRC 10.0.3 on windows 10. 

vmxbrat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that this is an issue for me running VMRC 10.0.3 build-9300449 connecting to guests on an ESXi 6.7.0 build 1. Specifically, I saw this with a Debian guest and a Windows Server 2016 guest. The typing just seems to randomly stop or only capture a single character. I can exit focus (Ctrl+Alt) and return focus to resolve the problem.

gusit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi! I have found a solution on the issue.

In my case it was Webroot that messed with the VMRC. So we found out that you could inactivate the "Identity Protection" or remove Webroot.

Hope this help someone more!

Best regards

Gustav

SkyviewGuru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, Gustav. You pointed me right to the solution. Rather than disabling identity protection entirely, I was able to add VMRC as an allowed app in the identity protection area of Webroot to fix the problem I had.

0 Kudos
Pacombi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you want Webroot to be installed and "Identity Protection" to be active, just allow the programs VMRC.EXE and VMWARE-REMOTEKMS.EXE (both in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Remote Console) on the program protection tab of the identity protection settings.

0 Kudos