VMware Cloud Community
hank-ger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The remote virtual machine "vm" on host "Host:443" cannot be opened:

Hi, when I want to connect to any VM with the VMRC I will get an Error -> "permission denied". I´am using the predefined Role "Virtual Machine Power User" there is "Console Interaction allowed. With full vCenter Permission the VMRC works. WebClient Console works fine. Any Idea

Tags (3)
6 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

you need to apply the user permission on the host level as well.

The VMRC initial log in is against the vCenter. After that you will be redirected to the host where the VM runs.

If your user that logs in has no permission on the host, you will receive this error message.

Tim

0 Kudos
hank-ger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, it works fine.

0 Kudos
estereterete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, this approach has unwanted side-effects.

Let's think about what happens to a group of users that should only see their virtual machines.

If we apply the  permissions to hosts, they will be automatically granted with permission to open not only their vm consoles, but any other vm console in the hosts. :smileyconfused:

dtsmith62
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get an answer?  I have a user having this problem from a Mac. He has "console interaction" permission on his folder and all the VMs in his folder.  Can't give him access at host level.  I must be missing something in my understanding.  That solution does have unwanted side effects

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We are tracking a solution to this issue with ticket 1588507. I will post an update here when it's available.

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The fix shipped with VMRC 9.0 on 2016-08-28 and allows users with "Interact with console" permissions on a single VM to connect successfully.

0 Kudos