VMware Cloud Community
saporter
Contributor
Contributor

Remote console does not work with any browser

Hi there,

downloaded the remote console 11.2.0 and installed on a server 2012 R2 vm- I can use vcenter and the web console, but when i launch the remote console it says Address Unresolvable.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, tried chrome, firefox and IE.  Other stuff on the vm is viewable through this console, CPU, RAM, etc, but no display.  A different server with an older version of the remote console works.  I've tried googling this but nothing makes much sense - I can't mess with a plugin library on vcenter and reregister things on there.

TIA

0 Kudos
12 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine:

Can you paste a screenshot of the error?

In addition to that, please check the following:

- Is there any firewall between server A (windows 2012 R2) server B (the server in which remote console works) and vCenter?
- Is there any anti virus working on Windows 2012 R2?
- Are both Servers on the same subnet?
- Do you have any kind of AppBlocker in place?
- telnet connection from server A to vCenter on port 903
- check this KB: VMware Knowledge Base

Warm regards

0 Kudos
saporter
Contributor
Contributor

No firewall

No AV

same subnet between server where remote console does not work and vcenter
no app blocker

can NOT telnet to vcenter server on port 903 or 902 (I figured maybe 903 was a typo since the article mentions 902) .  I CAN telnet to 443 on vcenter

I'll try modifying the ini file mentioned in the kb article, thanks. 

0 Kudos
saporter
Contributor
Contributor

OK, modifying the .ini gave a different error:

Unable to connect to the MKS.  Failed to connect to server vcenter.domain.com:902

I'm guessing port 902 has to be open from vcenter to the client trying to use the remote console.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

0 Kudos
saporter
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I looked through those articles.

However, this is interesting.

I went to a different VM on the same subnet where the remote console works.  It has an older version 10.0.6 build-14247266.

Turns out that vm can't get to port 902 or 903 on vcenter either, yet the console works.

So it seems like the newer version may require the port when the older one did not.

How frustrating.  Smiley Sad

Thanks again for the info.

0 Kudos
saporter
Contributor
Contributor

Well, the old version did not work either. 

I get that the port not being open would be an issue, except that it's not on open on the other server where it IS working.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Remote Console area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

MAke sure you read the kb that was linked before

VMware Knowledge Base

its not just about center, its about the esx ihosts too. The change made was to require 443 to the esxi hosts, when in the past it was 902.

"For those combinations fall into the 443 (port) category, by default, VMware Remote Console requires direct access to port 443 on ESXi hosts. If VMware Remote Console cannot reach port 443 on a host, for example due to firewall rules, VMware Remote Console will be unable to access or pass through a remote device to virtual machines on that host."

0 Kudos
DickyDck
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all, I just had this issue come up in my environment. Similar but maybe not quite the same. I can start a new thread but I think we may be having the same issue. for me anyway...

2 ESXi Hosts

both are accessible over 443 directly in browser

https://esxihostIP:443

https://esxihostname:443

1 vCenter

Can access fine over 443 in browser

https://vcentername:443

https://vcneterip:443 (gets cert error but still works)

from vCenter when I try to open Remote Console for VM I get Address unresolvable

from vcenter when I try to open web console for VM it works!!

from hosts when I try to open remote console it works!

from hosts when I try to open web console it works!

so this just started today, and it is only from vCenter, so my issue seems to be around vcenter.

All DNS is pointed to the same DNS server, all IPs are static.

any ideas?

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Please check port 903
VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
tkjr
Contributor
Contributor

I have this exact problem that only came up as I had to rebuild my vcenter from scratch.  Did you figure it out?

0 Kudos
wesmjc
Contributor
Contributor

I have not seen a solution to this and I had the same problem in my environment on a couple of VMs with 'Address Unresolvable' when launching remote console. It turned out, in my case, that I needed to add the VM host names and IPs into DNS so that the VMs would open in remote console.