VMware Cloud Community
Jabbawok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a version of VMRC that works on Apple silicon?

Is there a version of VMRC that works on Apple silicon? The download points me to the App Store, and the App Store says intel only.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lijieg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Jabbawok,

VMRC 12.0 macOS version will run on MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac Mini with Apple Silicon-based M1 chipset, 12.0  will be release very soon.

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 Replies
asajm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi @Jabbawok 

Have you checked this Download Product?

If you think your queries have been answered
Marking this response as "Solution " or "Kudo"
ASAJM
0 Kudos
Jabbawok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, when you try and run it I refuses to run and directs you to the App Store version.

The App Store version won't download/install as its set as intel only.

If I copy the App Store download version off an intel Mac I have, it crashes when you try and connect it to a console.

Thanks.

I'd be happy to run a beta. Unfortunately the ESXi web console doesn't allow USB passthrough, which for me is critical.

0 Kudos
BUBBIDK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have the same problem.. it is a bit frustrating.. 

i tried to use VMware fusion 12 pro instead, to connect to my ESXI.. but that dident work either 

0 Kudos
Jabbawok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interestingly, both VMware Fusion and VMRC allowed me to pass a USB device to the VM if only briefly before disconnecting. No picture was available but I could get that over the Web console. A native build of VMRC can't be that hard to achieve, even if full VMWare is extremely unlikely. I'm happy to have an EXSi box under my desk for as long as I need WIntel.

0 Kudos
BUBBIDK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I hope that that get it fixed. I think it would be easy to make it work.

And the M1 MacBook is a really good machine to work on and it is great on the go. It’s perfect to remote control ESXI on.. if it would work..

0 Kudos
Jabbawok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I assume the video stream is some variant of VNC, all though I can't be sure. I think maybe it was before ESXi 7 and now it's something faster like H265. I imagine it can't be that hard to fix it over Rosetta 2, but really the end game should be native ARM code. I'd be fine with the web console if it weren't for the fact I need the USB passthrough to plug in USB-serial and USB-ethernet devices to allow my VMs to talk to the equipment I'm programming.

What annoys me is Apple have had developer transition kits available since June specifically so developers can get their apps ready for when hardware lands. There should at least be a beta for willing users like me to test.

I've been running the VSphere mobile client (on iPad) for a while and that's native ARM and even runs on my M1 Mac (as all iOS apps do). Again, that lacks USB passthrough, but it proves the ARM code is mostly there.

0 Kudos
BUBBIDK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I agree.

hope that VMware listens too us🙏

0 Kudos
Lijieg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Jabbawok,

VMRC 12.0 macOS version will run on MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac Mini with Apple Silicon-based M1 chipset, 12.0  will be release very soon.

Thanks

Jabbawok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any chance of a beta?

0 Kudos
Jabbawok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see VMRC12 is out today! 😀