VMware Cloud Community
tdhdriver
Contributor
Contributor

How to disable SSL in VMRC for Linux?

Hello,

I have ESXI host with security.host.ruissl disabled. When im trying to connect it from VMRC 9.0 for Linux im getting error "Unable to connect to the MKS: Could not locate vmware-authd executable". But when I enable security.host.ruissl on the ESXI host - it does successfully connect and display VM.

So question is simple, how to force VMRC for Linux to not require SSL for connection to hosts? I guess there is should be some settings for console somewhere at /etc/vmware/config.

Tags (4)
5 Replies
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is a known issue and we are tracking it with ticket 1749007. See also KB 2007386 - VMware Remote Console (VMRC) requires hosts to enable SSL authentication.

We expect SSL will have a minor performance impact. What's your use case for turning it off here?

tdhdriver
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for answer! Hope to see settings to disable SSL in future versions of VMRC.

In my case we have a several old Windows PCs, with VMRC v.2.5.0 installed and it works perfectly with ESXI, but it doesnt use SSL by default (even it hasnt option to turn on SSL), so I had to turn off this option on ESXI host. That is why I need to connect from Linux without SSL. If I install latest version of VMRC on those old PC's - there will be performance issues. Also, that old VMRC had a nice syntax to connect to host, without moid, for example "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMwareVMRC\vmware-vmrc.exe" -h 192.168.1.2 -u "root" -p "passwd123" "[datastore1] vm1/vm1.vmx". Hope also to see something similar in future linux versions Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Those command-line options should work fine with the current VMRC, be sure to use capital letters for the flags though. What kind of performance issues do you see with VMRC 9? What OS and how much memory do the PCs have?

0 Kudos
tdhdriver
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i've used up registry flags, it worked except of that part "[datastore1] vm1/vm1.vmx" which comes without any flag. It just connects to server and let me choose VM manually. So how should I type it to get it work?

There is Windows XP and 512mb of RAM and VMRC freezes sometimes (not often) for about 0.2s, it may be caused also by OS, hardware or network - im not sure. But old VMRC seems to be better there.

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I mean the "flags" after the dashes on the command line, use -H instead of -h. Any flags after the VM path are ignored. If -U or -P are omitted VMRC will prompt for credentials. For instance this works with VMRC 9.0:

vmrc.exe -H testserver.vmware.com -U root "[datastore1]Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Windows 10 x64 Enterprise.vmx"

Disclaimer: Command line flags are not officially supported and may not work in future versions of VMRC. VMware recommends using vmrc:// URLs instead which allow more flexibility.