asickels
Contributor
Contributor

Entry Point Not Found

Jump to solution

Running VMRC 8.0 Build 3250412 and vSphere Web Client 6.0U1

When using the "Launch Remote Console" link from the VM Summary page I get this error.

vmrc.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point Unicode_Free could not be located in the dynamic link library vmwarebase.DLL

This occurs every time the VMRC is launched, even if there is an existing VMRC still running.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is a known issue when VMRC 8 is installed with Workstation 11 or earlier and is being tracked by ticket 1354699.

VMRC is designed to work without elevated.dll but when Workstation is installed, code shared between VMRC and other desktop products loads that copy at runtime. The error message pops up because Workstation's elevated.dll expects to find Unicode_Free in Workstation's vmwarebase.dll but cannot find it in VMRC's version of the DLL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have not seen that problem. Is this a pop-up dialog? Can you continue and connect to your remote virtual machine?

What OS are you running? Did you upgrade from VMRC 7? If so, please try uninstalling VMRC 8 and reinstalling it. Do you have VMware Workstation or Player installed as well?

Thanks

0 Kudos
asickels
Contributor
Contributor

It is a pop-up dialog box. I can still connect to the remote VM

I'm running Windows 7 x64. The error occurs for current versions of Firefox and Chrome, but not IE11.

Yes, I upgraded from VMRC 7.0.1. I've already tried to uninstall and reinstall VMRC 8.0. I'm also running VMware Workstation 11.1.3. Even though VMware Workstation can function as the Remote Console for the vSphere Web Client I prefer the VMRC.

0 Kudos
scottsewall
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing same error.

Running

- Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

- VMware® Remote Console 8.0.0 build-3250412

- vSphere Web Client Version 6.0.0 Build 2997665

- FireFox 43.0.4

I had previously installed, and removed, in order to install VMRC 8.0

- VMware vSphere Client 5.0. Product Version: 5.0.0.42044

- VMware vSphere Client 5.1. Product Version: 5.1.0.5018

- VMware vSphere Client 5.5. Product Version: 5.5.0.4216

- VMware Client Integration Plug-in 5.5.0. Product Version: 5.5.0.1896808

- VMware Client Integration Plug-in 6.0.0. Product Version: 6.0.0.3279

Still installed

- VMware® Workstation 11.1.0 build-2496824

Note: even though error is thrown, the VMRC application starts and runs hust fine.

0 Kudos
CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is a known issue when VMRC 8 is installed with Workstation 11 or earlier and is being tracked by ticket 1354699.

VMRC is designed to work without elevated.dll but when Workstation is installed, code shared between VMRC and other desktop products loads that copy at runtime. The error message pops up because Workstation's elevated.dll expects to find Unicode_Free in Workstation's vmwarebase.dll but cannot find it in VMRC's version of the DLL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
danL1979
Contributor
Contributor

I know this has been "answered" by simply stating it's a bug, but here is my solution to make things work:

First, my VMRC links (a.k.a. Launch Remote Console) were opening in VMware Workstation 11, and not VMRC 8.0.  So, to fix that, I did this:

Open regedit, go to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\vmrc\DefaultIcon" and "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\vmrc\shell\open\command" and changing the entries from VMware workstation's exe path, to VMRC's path, which in my case is "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Remote Console\vmrc.exe"

Part 2:  Now, it would open my links in VMRC, but would throw an error about the "elevated.dll" thing.  I did a search for that and found this registry key with that entry, "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{420F0000-71EB-4757-B979-418F039FC1F9}".  I deleted this key.

Part 3:  Now, things were opening without an elevated error, but it needed elevation for it to properly work.  So, in File Explorer, I tracked down the "vmrc.exe" file, right clicked, went to Properties > Compatibility tab > Change settings for all users > Run this program as an administrator.  Clicked that box, clicked OK, OK, OK (however many OKes there are) and done.

After doing these three things, I had a working model, for VMware Workstation 11 installed, and with VMRC 8.0 working correctly.

CQuartetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

danL1979: Thank you for posting this workaround!

0 Kudos
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey danL1979, that does work to get rid of the elevated.dll thing!

However now any time I open a console I have to enter my domain admin username and password to proceed, which is a lot more typing (and potential password fumbling / account lock out opportunities) vs just hitting a simple OK button on a benign error.

So I undid your part 3 and took off the run as administrator on the compatibility tab for all users.  Now I don't get the error and everything seems to work properly.  You indicate that it needs elevation to work properly but I don't see an issue.  I thought OK maybe its if I try to map an ISO or physical drive to the VM. Nope that works fine too.

So your post should be made the answer.  I don't know how you can change that or if there are any moderators on this forum that could change it.  I'm glad I read past the "answer" (which isn't an answer AT ALL IMO), to see your post.  I just didn't have to do your part 3.  Who knows maybe I will eventually run into something not working right without your part 3, but so far I can do everything I need to do.

mikejtucker
Contributor
Contributor

I only needed to do Part 3

0 Kudos
bruor
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this! 

I had an issue where workstation 11 took over VMRC links after being installed.   I then got this error message after repairing the VMRC app.  I had to follow step 2 and 3 that you posted and it works as expected again with no errors.

0 Kudos