VMware Cloud Community
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vcheck inconsistent output

I'm eating my brain out on a silly issue... I have a plugin in vCheck called  27 VM Tools Issues.ps1 which I modified like this:

# Start of Settings

# VM Tools Issues, do not report on any VMs who are defined here

$VMTDoNotInclude = "VM1_*|VM2_*"

# End of Settings

$Result = $FullVM | Where {$_.Name -notmatch $VMTDoNotInclude} | Where {$_.Guest.State -eq "Running" -And ($_.Guest.IPAddress -eq $NULL -or $_.Guest.HostName -eq $NULL -or $_.Guest.ExtensionData.Disk -eq $NULL)} | Select Name

$Result

but it produces not output. While if I run it in ISE (as below) it does show a couple of VMs. I can't undestand why the different behaviour!!?

$VMTDoNotInclude = "VM1_*|VM2_*"

$Result = Get-VM | Where {$_.Name -notmatch $VMTDoNotInclude} | Where {$_.Guest.State -eq "Running" -And ($_.Guest.IPAddress -eq $NULL -or $_.Guest.HostName -eq $NULL -or $_.Guest.ExtensionData.Disk -eq $NULL)} | Select Name

$Result

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The * character has a special meaning in a RegEx.

It is a quantifier, and says that the previous character shall be matched between 0 and unlimited times.

So your string in fact says:

• match the string VM1 literally (anywhere in the name)
  • match _ character between zero and unlimited times
  • or
  • match the string VM2 literally (anywhere in the name)

So displaynames like ABCVM1 and VM1ABC will not get through.
If that is what you envisaged, fine.

On the difference between your local run in the ISE and the run in vCheck.

I would start analysing by checking if $FullVM have the same VMs in the ISE as it has in vCheck.

In vCheck the content of $FullVM is obtained by

$FullVM = Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine | Where-Object {-not $_.Config.Template}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I suspect the issue comes from the fact that the -notmatch comparison operator expects a RegEx expression on the right side.

Try the following, it will exclude all VMs whose Displayname starts with VM1_ or VM2_

$VMTDoNotInclude = "^VM1_|^VM2_" 

0 Kudos
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks Luc, but it does not work. However the same variable is used in both context, within vCheck and simply run using ISE. The VMs that are listed by simply running the piece of code in ISE do need action as the tools are not in a healthy state. However when run in vCheck nothing is reported. The code is identical... I can't understand..

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The * character has a special meaning in a RegEx.

It is a quantifier, and says that the previous character shall be matched between 0 and unlimited times.

So your string in fact says:

• match the string VM1 literally (anywhere in the name)
  • or
  • match the string VM2 literally (anywhere in the name)

So displaynames like ABCVM1 and VM1ABC will not get through.
If that is what you envisaged, fine.

On the difference between your local run in the ISE and the run in vCheck.

I would start analysing by checking if $FullVM have the same VMs in the ISE as it has in vCheck.

In vCheck the content of $FullVM is obtained by

$FullVM = Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine | Where-Object {-not $_.Config.Template}

0 Kudos
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks again. Although the variable with the * is used in both scenarios (and so it could not be the source of the issue) I changed it. As you suggested it's good to keep the * out of the way there.

Going to the difference between the output of Get-VM and what contained in $FullVM I can say that they are almost the same. This vCheck checks one vCenter only. However thanks to your suggestion I could reproduce the issue in ISE, so:

Get-VM | Where {$_.Name -notmatch $VMTDoNotInclude} |

Where {$_.Guest.State -eq "Running" -And ($_.Guest.IPAddress -eq $NULL -or $_.Guest.HostName -eq $NULL -or $_.Guest.ExtensionData.Disk -eq $NULL)} | Select Name

the string above produces the desired output, which is a list of VMs with VMtools issues. While the line below does not produce anything:

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine | Where {$_.Name -notmatch $VMTDoNotInclude} |

Where {$_.Guest.State -eq "Running" -And ($_.Guest.IPAddress -eq $NULL -or $_.Guest.HostName -eq $NULL -or $_.Guest.ExtensionData.Disk -eq $NULL)} | select Name

So the difference is the format of the output between the Get-VM and the Get-View and therefore I had to change some properties names in the dotted notation and it worked!

$FullVM | Where {$_.Name -notmatch $VMTDoNotInclude} |

Where {$_.Guest.GuestState -eq "Running" -And ($_.Guest.IPAddress -eq $NULL -or $_.Guest.HostName -eq $NULL -or $_.Guest.Disk -eq $NULL)} | select Name

Thanks again! I'll bear that in mind when amending/troubleshooting vCheck

0 Kudos