VMware Cloud Community
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vSwitch Default Security Policies - Reporting on and Changing.

Per Hal Rottenberg in Managing VMware Infrastructure with Windows Powershell the default policies on a vSwitch are not represented in the 1.0 version of the VI Toolkit.  I took a look at the release notes on the latest versions of PowerCLI and it doesn't appear this functionality has been added.  I am trying to report on and alter the vSwitch security policies.  Specifically, "MAC Address Changes" and "Forged Transmissions".  Anyone have code that can do this?  Thanks.  My version of PowerCLI is 4.0, U1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I just added a pre-4.1 version. Does that work for you ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have a look at vSwitch and Portgroup Security Settings

Since you're on an older PowerCLI build you can do

foreach ($VMHost in Get-VMHost){
     $esx = Get-View $VMHost
     foreach($vSwitch in $esx.Config.Network.Vswitch){           Write-Host $vSwitch.Name           Write-Host "`tPromiscuous mode:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous           Write-Host "`tForged transmits:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits           Write-Host "`tMAC Changes:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges           foreach($portgroup in ($esx.Config.Network.Portgroup | where {$_.Vswitch -eq $vSwitch.Key})){                Write-Host "`n`t" $portgroup.Spec.Name                Write-Host "`t`tPromiscuous mode:" $portgroup.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous                Write-Host "`t`tForged transmits:" $portgroup.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits                Write-Host "`t`tMAC Changes:" $portgroup.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges           }      } }

To change the security policy settings have a look at How to set network security of "AllowPromiscuous","MacChanges" and "ForgedTransmits"

mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks.  I'm assuming that I am seeing the limitations of my version of PowerCLI (4.0, U1) since extensiondata was introduced in 4.1.  When I run the below script (removed port group portion), the only feedback I get is the output text within the script itself (Promiscuous mode:, Forged transmits: etc..), but no data from the the vSwitch security settings.  Any other way you know of to get at this data?

foreach($vSwitch in $VMHost.ExtensionData.Config.Network.Vswitch){
          Write-Host $vSwitch.Name
          Write-Host "`tPromiscuous mode:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous
          Write-Host "`tForged transmits:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits
          Write-Host "`tMAC Changes:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges
          }
     }

Thanks

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I just added a pre-4.1 version. Does that work for you ?

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks.  I was getting a problem with the first foreach expression:

[vSphere PowerCLI] S:\SCRIPTS\TESTING> .\test.ps1
Unexpected token 'in' in expression or statement.
At S:\SCRIPTS\TESTING\test.ps1:1 char:85
+ foreach ($VMHost in Get-VMHost){     $esx = Get-View $VMHost     foreach($vSwitch in <<<<  $esx.Config.Network.Vswitc
h){
    + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (in:String) [], ParseException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken

I took out the port group queries and removed the $esx = get-view $vmhost variable input and it seemed to work ok:

foreach ($vSwitch in $esx.Config.Network.Vswitch){
          Write-Host $vSwitch.Name
     }
}

Thanks

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I suspect the <CR><LF> got lost for that line during the copy/paste.

This

foreach ($VMHost in Get-VMHost){     $esx = Get-View $VMHost      foreach($vSwitch in <<<<  $esx.Config.Network.Vswitc
h){

should have been multiple lines

$esx = Get-View $VMHost

foreach($vSwitch in $esx.Config.Network.Vswitch){

You need to get the $esx value, otherwise the expression '$esx.Config.Network.Vswitch' will not work.

I attached the file with the correct lines.

mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That one gave me some problems:

Promiscuous mode:
        Forged transmits:
        MAC Changes:
Get-View : 6/20/2011 2:28:03 PM    Get-View        Invalid object specified for parameter Id - 'VMHostImpl'. Valid type
s are ManagedObjectReference and string.
At S:\SCRIPTS\TESTING\test2.ps1:2 char:20
+     $esx = get-view <<<<  $vmhost
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (ftgdwlk308esx.fmr.com:VMHostImpl) [Get-View], VimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_GetVIView_TryGetIdParam_InvalidValue,VMware.VimAutomation.Commands.DotNetInterop.Ge
   tVIView

I altered the varible set to this: $esx = get-vmhost $VMHost | get-view.  It runs without error, but not sure it's working as I don't see names of hosts, but just vSwitch names and policies.

$esx = get-vmhost $VMHost | get-view    
    foreach($vSwitch in $esx.Config.Network.Vswitch){
          Write-Host $vSwitch.Name
     }
}

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try replacing the line

$esx = Get-View $VMHost

with

$esx = Get-View -Id $vmhost.id

I suspect the first format is also something that came with PowerCLI 4.1.

Problem is, I can't test it anymore since I don't have a PowerCLI pre-4.1 available anymore.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That did it.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos