VMware Cloud Community
davidkumaru
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere web client API

I created a simple dot net application with the reference of the below document.

https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/PowerCLI/PowerCLI41U1/doc/viwin_devg.pdf

I installed vSphere power CLI and used vmware.vim.dll as reference in my project.

When I run this in another machine, it is required to install vSphere power CLI in that device also. (i.e) the vmware.vim.dll alone is not enough to run the program.

Is there a way to distribute with out installing it?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik there is no redistributable runtime version of PowerCLI

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
davidkumaru
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the response.

Following the below solution works, but I would like to know about the distribution of the dlls copied from GAC

c# - Which VMware API should I use? - Stack Overflow

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure what you are asking.

The post you pointed to seems to explain which GAC DLLs you have to copy.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
davidkumaru
Contributor
Contributor

Instead of building dlls using vSphere web service SDK, I choose to use the vSphere power CLI as it is easy to program.

Here I would like to know that can I distribute the power CLI dlls with my own application or I have to install vSphere power CLI with my application.

0 Kudos
davidkumaru
Contributor
Contributor

Got the below link, from this, redistribution of any part of powerCLI is not allowed.

https://communities.vmware.com/viewwebdoc.jspa?documentID=DOC-10141

So my next option is to install this silently in the target machine. I found the below statement in the license agreement of VMWare powercli,

you may download and make a reasonable number of copies of the Software for your use solely for the purpose of creating software that communicates with VMware Products (your software, “Developer Software”)

Can I make a copy of powercli installer into my web server because vmware requires authentication to download.

By making this, I can download powercli and can install silently with my application.

0 Kudos