devs159
Contributor
Contributor

vCheck and storing credentials for scheduled task

Jump to solution

I'm trying to setup vCheck as a scheduled task but it keeps prompting for credentials when running as a batch file.

I've added the credential using the following command.

New-VICredentialStoreItem -Host myvc -User administrator@vsphere.local -Password password - File c:\scripts\vcpwd.xml

In the connection plugin for vcenter, I've added the following lines to pull the credentials but it's not working. Am I missing further steps here or what is the cause?

$Credfile = "C:\scripts\vcpwd.xml"

$Creds = Get-VICredentialStoreItem -Host $VIServer -File "C:\scripts\vcpwd.xml"

The .bat file string is as follows: C:\WINDOWS\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe -File "C:\scripts\vCheck-vSphere-master\vCheck.ps1

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

And you using that on the Connect-VIServer cmdlet?

$VIConnection = Connect-VIServer -Server $VIServer -User $Creds.User -Password $Creds.Password-Port $Port

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

And you using that on the Connect-VIServer cmdlet?

$VIConnection = Connect-VIServer -Server $VIServer -User $Creds.User -Password $Creds.Password-Port $Port

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
devs159
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks LucD​!!. I've updated to your string in the connection plugins and it's now working successfully.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

Hi LucD,

Need your help. I did try to add the following line to connection 00 Connection Plugin for vCenter but it throws an error. Can you please let me know where i need to add the following line in connection 00 Connection Plugin.

Error

[04:43:27] ..start calculating Connection settings for vCenter by Alan Renouf v1.20 [1 of 22]

Get-VICredentialStoreItem : The term 'Get-VICredentialStoreItem' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function,

script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is

correct and try again.

At D:\Scripts\vCheck-sin1vm\Plugins\00 Initialize\00 Connection Plugin for vCenter.ps1:1 char:10

+ $Creds = Get-VICredentialStoreItem -Host $VIServer -File "D:\Scripts\ ...

+          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-VICredentialStoreItem:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Connect-VIServer : The term 'Connect-VIServer' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or

operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try

again.

At D:\Scripts\vCheck-sin1vm\Plugins\00 Initialize\00 Connection Plugin for vCenter.ps1:3 char:17

+ $VIConnection = Connect-VIServer -Server $VIServer -User $Creds.User  ...

+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Connect-VIServer:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Thanks

V

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Looks like PowerShell can not find the PowerCLI modules.

Which PowerShell and PowerCLI version and in which folder?

$PSVersionTable

$env:PSModulePath.Split(';')

Get-Module -Name VMware.PowerCLI -ListAvailable

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

Thank you LucD.

Please find the output.

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks

V

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Looks like you might be using an older PowerCLI version.
Most probably an MSI based installation.

Can you upgrade?

See Welcome PowerCLI to the PowerShell Gallery – Install Process Updates for instructions.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

cD,

Let me try from workstation and i have updated version power cli installed. Let me know if still require updated version.

pastedImage_0.png

After adding the line. It still prompt for credential.

Thanks

V

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

In Plugin 00 you should have set the vCenter.

$Title = "Connection settings for vCenter"

$Author = "Alan Renouf"

$PluginVersion = 1.20

$Header = "Connection Settings"

$Comments = "Connection Plugin for connecting to vSphere"

$Display = "None"

$PluginCategory = "vSphere"

# Start of Settings

# Please Specify the address (and optional port) of the vCenter server to connect to [servername(:port)]

$Server = "vcsa.local.lab"

# End of Settings

And there should be a VICredentialStoreItem entry on the station where you are running this.

Get-VICredentialStoreItem -Host 'vcsa.local.lab'

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

LucD,

yes, it definitely helped me, once suggested where to add the line, but i still noticed that it was throwing a port error message and prompting me for credential, then i just tweaked the line of your script

using the blog - Login to vCenter via PowerCLI without entering Credentials | VMMaster

$Credentials = Get-VICredentialStoreItem -Host vcsa.vmmaster.local -File D:\pwd.xml

Connect-VIServer vcsa.vmmaster.local -User $Credentials.User -Password $Credentials.Password

and it is working now. Not sure why it is not working with the other command.  Thanks for your help once again.

Thanks

V

0 Kudos