VMware Cloud Community
elconas
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Permissions Required for Set-VM -HARestartPriority ?

Hello,

I try to configure a functional user with minimum permissions, that configures the "HARestartPriority"-Setting based on some custom Tag on a regular basis (e.g. "Gold" VM's  get "HARestartPriority"=High).

I want to only give minimal privileges to this role, however I could not find out the vCenter permissions needed to allow "HARestartPriority".

That's what I do:

PowerCLI> Get-VM -Location $clusterObj -Name "myServer" -Tag $tag_noneha |  Set-VM -WhatIf:$False -Confirm:$False -HARestartPriority Disabled

I get:

Set-VM        fault.NoPermission.summary

Even if all VM Permissions are given to the role of the user in question. I also did not find any "HARestartPriority" permission.

Any hints on the permissions required ?

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik, you will need the Host.Inventory.EditCluster privilege.

And most probably the default ones as well: System.Anonymous, System.View, and System.Read.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
elconas
Contributor
Contributor

So this means it can not be set on a "per VM" or "per Folder" level, only on the "per Cluster" level or globally ?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Not 100% sure about that, but since it involves reconfiguring the cluster, that would at least be a privilege that is required.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
elconas
Contributor
Contributor

I tested it and it works. Giving Host -> Inventory -> "Modify Cluster" permission to the role and assigning the Role on the user at the Cluster Level (with inherit) is sufficient.

0 Kudos