VMware Cloud Community
nicholas1982
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCenter 7 Alarm Action Scripts Not Working

Just wondering if anyone here has Alarm Action Scripts successfully running on vCenter 7 and if so wouldn't mind sharing the configuration. I used this feature previously, of course now on VCSA I'm trying to execute a shell Script but, when the alarm triggers the script doesn't execute. There isn't much more information in the documentation > https://tinyurl.com/y6ars3pn

Nicholas
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you also check out Kamen's more recent post on the subject?
See Use-Case: Execute PowerCLI Scripts as vSphere Alarm Actions using Script Runtime Service
It does require setting up an SRS, but that is quite straightforward.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nicholas1982
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks Luc, I followed this article too. The shell script works perfectly fine if I run it directly on the VCSA via SSH. But the alarm action doesn’t run it. I might spin up a 6.7 or older VCSA and test it there. 

Nicholas
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you also check out Kamen's more recent post on the subject?
See Use-Case: Execute PowerCLI Scripts as vSphere Alarm Actions using Script Runtime Service
It does require setting up an SRS, but that is quite straightforward.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
nicholas1982
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Luc, yes I saw that one too. I’ve actually gone back to basics, a simple shell script that creates an empty file, which works fine directly executed on the VCSA, but an Alarm Action doesn’t run it. I’ll go through logs next and see what I can find. 

Nicholas
0 Kudos
nicholas1982
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Luc, I deployed a 6.5 appliance, and the alarm action script worked so, I thought possible a bug on vCenter 7; however, a restart of the VCSA appliance resolved it, not sure what went wrong there but, everything is working now, thanks for your help.

Nicholas
0 Kudos