VMware Cloud Community
Golden275
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

start-job re-connect to vcenter in each loop

Hello team,

I'm trying to validate local admin credential on all VMs by a script (referencing with below two articles)

#1  https://www.lucd.info/knowledge-base/running-a-background-job/

#2   https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-PowerCLI-Discussions/Execute-multiple-Powershell-tasks-in-p...

I get to the point where start-job starts re-connect to vcenter in 'foreach' and each connection will take ~30 seconds

I assumed that With the SessionId parameter, the start-job will  reuse the existing connection rather than create a new vcenter connection from scratch ?

not sure what is wrong with my script

####output####

Golden275_0-1664740569267.png

###Script###

$code = {
param(
[string]$Server,
[string]$SessionId,
[string]$VMName
)

Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -DisplayDeprecationWarnings $false -Confirm:$false | Out-Null
Connect-VIServer -Server $Server -Session $SessionId
Invoke-VMScript -VM $vm -GuestUser "./XXXXXXX" -GuestPassword "XXXXXXX" -ScriptText "" > $null
}

$vms=Get-VM | Where-Object {$_.PowerState -eq "PoweredOn" -and $_.ExtensionData.Config.GuestFullName -like "*Microsoft*" }

$HashJob = @{
ScriptBlock = $code

}

$results = @()

foreach ($vmName in $vms){
$j= Start-Job @HashJob -ArgumentList @($global:DefaultVIServer.Name, $global:DefaultVIServer.SessionId, $vmName)

Receive-Job -Job $j -Wait

$row3= new-object -TypeName PSObject -Property @{

'VM_name' = $vmName

'Job_ID' = $j.Id

'vspherename' = Receive-Job -Id $j.Id -keep

}

$results += $row3

}
$results

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not sure what you consider as going wrong.
The Connect-VIServer with the Session parameter re-establishes the existing connection.

But I don't see what the advantage of the Start-Job is in this case.
You run the Start-Job and Receive-Job with the Wait option inside the foreach loop.
None of the background jobs will run in parallel, but one by one.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not sure what you consider as going wrong.
The Connect-VIServer with the Session parameter re-establishes the existing connection.

But I don't see what the advantage of the Start-Job is in this case.
You run the Start-Job and Receive-Job with the Wait option inside the foreach loop.
None of the background jobs will run in parallel, but one by one.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

Golden275
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@LucD 

thank you for the clarifications

yes, I tested in a different way for 20vms that shows below and this time it runs cred check in one shoot and all machines validation complete in less than ~50 sec.

$v = Get-VM | Where-Object {$_.PowerState -eq "PoweredOn" -and $_.ExtensionData.Config.GuestFullName -like "*Microsoft*" }

Invoke-VMScript -vm $v -GuestUser ".\XXXXX" -GuestPassword "XXXXX" -ErrorAction stop -ScriptText $script > $null

0 Kudos