VMware Cloud Community
asiangchin
Contributor
Contributor

reporting on Capacity vs. Utilization

Hello

I am currently faced with a project to gather Capacity vs. Utilization ( memory, CPU, Storage) for our virtual environment. We are currently not looking to implement any third party tools. Is there a script to achieve this. So basically what they would like to see in a report monthly is:

A snapshot in time of:

What resources do we have

What (on avg) we are using

We would like this to report on growth and consumption.

Also we would like to report on performance. I see in a previous thread that there is a script:

"Get-Cluster -Name "Cluster00" | get-vm | select Name, Description, Host, PowerState, Memory"

Can something like this be used to gather information to report on:

Cpu Usage (avg/rate)

Cpu ready time

Disk Usage (avg/rate)

memory (avg/absolute)

Network Usage (avg/rate)

System (uptime)

Thank you so much in advance !!

Ann

0 Kudos
2 Replies
halr9000
Commander
Commander

I've branched this to a new thread. Please create new threads when changing topics so that others coming along later can find relevant information more easily.

[PowerShell MVP|https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=5547F213-A069-45F8-B5D1-17E5BD3F362F], VI Toolkit forum moderator

Author of the upcoming book: Managing VMware Infrastructure with PowerShell

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

Need general, non-VMware-related PowerShell Help? Try the forums at PowerShellCommunity.org

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You can use the Get-Stat cmdlet to gather statistical data for most of the objects known in the VI.

As a first prereq you will need to make sure that your VC gathers statistical data for all the instances you mention.

You can check that in the VC (see <Administration><Virtual Server Management Server Configuration><Statistics>

You will also need to define what kind of statistical data you want in your monthly report.

The values for the instances at the time you run the script or do you want averages per hour/day/week/month...?

To select the statistical data you want have a look at the performance counter list in Appendix A in the Programming Guide.

There have been quit some entries on the Get-Stat cmdlet in this community.

You could do a search and read some of the other questions (and answers) on this subject.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos