VMware Cloud Community
virtuallycool
Contributor
Contributor

removing VM from a resource pool after 30 days

concept: we have a policy that we hold decommissioned VM for 30 days. so I created a resource pool called decommissioned and gave it no resource. I then put all the machine that are to be removed in there. so I wrote a some powercli to remove them after 30 days. but I am stumped on getting the VM name for the remove-vm statement from the VIevent information. I can see the name in the fullformattedmessage, but it has other information with it. 

# set my resource pool

$rpName = 'Decommissioned'

# Set my Aging

$PoweredOffAge = (Get-Date).AddDays(-30)

$Output = @{}

#f find my VM that are in the resource pool and are currently powered off

$PoweredOffvms = Get-ResourcePool -Name $rpName | Get-VM | where {$_.PowerState -eq "PoweredOff"}

# run the power off vm against the VIevent date and see how old they are

$EventsLog = Get-VIEvent -Entity $PoweredOffvms -Finish $PoweredOffAge -MaxSamples ([int]::MaxValue) | where{$_.FullFormattedMessage -like "*is powered off"}

# Delete VM that meet the criteria of 30 days old and powered off and in the resource pool decommissioned

Remove-VM ??? -DeletePermanently -WhatIf

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in Advance

Scott

2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You're capturing the VmPoweredOffEvent, the VM displayname is in the $event.VM.Name.

Something like this

Get-VIEvent -Entity $PoweredOffvms -Finish $PoweredOffAge -MaxSamples ([int]::MaxValue) |

where{$_ -is [VMware.Vim.VmPoweredOffEvent]} | %{

# Delete VM that meet the criteria of 30 days old and powered off and in the resource pool decommissioned

Remove-VM $_.VM.Name -DeletePermanently -WhatIf

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

virtuallycool
Contributor
Contributor

Lucd,

You are always so Helpful. Thank you.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos